Does your toddler enjoy being read too?

My 26 month old son refuses to sit still for story time. I usually continue to read to him as he's playing and running about in hopes that he's listening. Are there any tips any of you can give to make story time a little more enticing and exciting for him?! Thanks in advance.

BrandyTheMommy2

Asked by BrandyTheMommy2 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope, my son HATED it. I kept trying though. I will say, he was the best reader in Kindergarten and up though. LOL Despite the hatred.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:25 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yup! R u reading it word for word? What r the stories about?
    Here is what reading is about...
    Before introducing the book, provide background knowledge. Ex. A visit to the zoo
    Then choose a book related to those animals. Make sure the book has real pix, not drawings
    Flip through the book with ur child when they aren't as active - before nap or bed
    When ur flipping thru the book ur browsing it with them. Not reading!
    Next read the work in parts.
    Don't expect more than 10-15 min of his attention. If it's shorter then stop before he loses interest n go back to it later.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I use books that have interactive features like popups or lift the flap. Also you can encourage him to "read" a story to you.My daughter likes to point to each word as i read it, Then "reads it back to me when we're done.
    Hollyann126

Answer by Hollyann126 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yeah, my 4 year old loves it.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• The best thing I do for tods who don't want to sit still and read a book is make a photo album just for them. Make sure it has pics of them in it, thats important, but also random relatable things like yr mailbox, car, his favorite food, family, pets, shoes, potty etc. But make sure to mix in a lot of him this will keep his attention. You can add a label to each page to encourage print recognition (i.e. u are actually reading words to him) which is a necessary pre-reading skill. If he likes this, then use shutterfly or whatever photo place u use to make one of their actual books with pics of him and maybe a story you made up or tell a story about when you guys went to the zoo etc. But I would try an album first as he may not respond to it and its cheaper! Some kids just arent readers, just make sure to supplement his play with more complicated words than normal as to introduce new vocabulary!
    Stef
    http://askananny.com
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 11:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• yes but I think it is because i "mask" my voice. He Loves Llama Llama mad at mama.
    mamarod6

Answer by mamarod6 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Yes. I find it difficult to read to her when I want to read to her. She loves to be read to on her terms and her terms alone. When she is tired and snugly or not feeling well we read ALL DAY LONG. You can only read so many stories so many times. Today was a reading day.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes she has always loved reading.
    But even if you read to your child while he is playing it is still GREAT! Listening to the vocab is good.
    Some ideas may be changing your voice. getting dramatic with your words. get something with lots of noises that you can encourage him to do.. Character books he likes, subjects he likes (trucks, dinosaurs). Keep the books on his "level".. Like if is sitting/watching dr. seuss, or simple books that are not too long are good.. But if he is up running around, reading books like "the lion, the witch & the wardrobe" will work.. or even a book you are interested in is just fine..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I used books that have pop ups, lift a flap, or textures for him to feel when he was younger to keep him sitting still. You can modify books for him by copying the pages, cutting out certain pictures, (laminating with clear contact paper if needed), then attaching them to the book with velcro. As you pass each page, either have him take off or attach the velcro picture. But even if he's not sitting still, it's great that you are still reading to him!
    My son turned 2 in November and I have always left his books where they are accessible to him. He now will go sit down with one and "read" it to himself or to his little sister. It's very cute!
    Make sure he sees you reading for enjoyment!

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks ladies for all of the advice. Some of it I have tried before and some of it is new to me and I will definitely give a try. I appreciate you all taking out the time to answer my questions. Enjoy your day ladies.
    BrandyTheMommy2

Comment by BrandyTheMommy2 (original poster) at 8:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2011