Is it okay that my eight month old has only breastmilk, and not any baby food yet?

I've started to feed my eight month old baby food, but stopped a week or two ago. She is of normal weight, no health problems, and is thriving on only breastmilk. Some of my relatives are acting as if I am hurting her growth in some way. Am I?

bellejesse

Asked by bellejesse at 11:29 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely ok. You can wait until she grabs food off your plate and feeds herself. Breastmilk is a complete food and food before one is just for fun. BM should be her main source of nutrition and foods are just extra learning play and can wait.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• – collapse
    I've never really met anyone that hadn't fed their child some type of food at that age before... sorry. Yes, I would have to say that sounds kind of lazy to me. Your child needs to know how to eat, how to taste, swallow and even to distinguish the different textures of food.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:31 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Some ppl don't feed them til their a yr. It's ok! My son refused food til he was about 10mos so it wasn't like I chose to exclusively BF that long.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well from what I've heard that introducing babies to food is more for texture and taste, not so much nutrition. Breast milk and formula both contain enough nutrients for a year I believe.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• most baby foods only have about 20 calories per serving so growth isn't a big deal. if she is acting like she is still hungry after feedings or wants to eat food there's also no harm in giving it to her at this stage. make sure you are taking vitamins and eating healthy though. only give her solids AFTER bfing though. the liquid part of the diet is still very important and where she will get her nutrients and calorie for growth the most.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Sorry, I've never heard of that Gals! But then again, I've never really known anyone that breastfed either, so pardon me...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:35 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• m-avi: Kids can and DO learn to eat on their own time. BM has FAR more calories and nutrient than any other food. Technically, you CAN survive on BM alone, but, soon, she will grab some food and put it in her mouth and chew it and you will absolutely know when is ready for solids and can go straight to regular foods and skip the nasty jar crap and purees.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:37 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Thanks for the info BradenIsMySon! I had no idea....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• thanks, all, and I also forgot to mention I am physically disabled, which affects how I feed my baby. I really don't think I'm lazy. :)
    bellejesse

Comment by bellejesse (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• its not harming him thats for sure.......I dont see it as lazy at all, its your personal choice, these days people want to rush babies onto solids.........I started fruit and veg at about 6 mths but I didnt start on meat until 12 mths.....its whatever your comfortable with.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:45 PM on Apr. 27, 2011