A question about foster care/temporary custody? *edit*

I know a couple who due to neglect of their child, their command (army) is trying to temporarily place the child with my DH and I while they sort the mess out. I may be a cousin to the father of the child (he claims and I'm not sure extended cousins if at all, but I'm also a "friend" (term used loosely) and have had the child before. DH asked and has me wondering, should we start to get things for the child, like a crib etc or will the be made to provide that (on the off chance that for some reason they refuse to do so voluntarily?). I already plan on getting some formula and diapers with this paycheck, because they never have enough so I'm not hoping to get much from them. But should I be looking at at least a playpen for the little guy, bottles? If you are wondering about the whole details they are here

What would you concider the necessities for a 4 month old? Diapers, formula, bottles, wipes but what else? 

AimBre

Asked by AimBre at 11:44 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am sure you will end up purchasing some things for the child BUT if they have a crib, swing, carseat, playpen, etc then they should be giving it to you so that you can properly take care of the child. and the Commanding officers or who ever should be compesating you for this fostering. Good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 11:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• i wouod start with a few things or mayb some things the baby needs at home to or get them and keeo reciept you have 30 days to take bak
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Well, I know that in our state if you become a foster parent, you are responsible for providing for the child's needs for the most part. The state will provide medical insurance (medicaid), foodstamps for the child, a small one time clothing allowance when the child is placed & a small monthly stipend to help pay for the child's other needs/expenses. If the child is young enough, he or she will also qualify for WIC. Everything else, like a bed, activities, etc. are provided by the fostering family. It may be different in other states & it may be different with the military, so you may want to ask someone in your DH's command what is expected. BTW, this is a very generous thing you are doing for the child. Blood relation or not, many would refuse to take on so much responsibility & expense willingly.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i was in fostercare my whole life almost and social servies orwhoever isputting the child in your home is pose to supply you with the things the child needs
    allycat_joanne

Answer by allycat_joanne at 3:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would get a bassinet/playpen set, carseat, formula, diapers, bottles, wipes, recieving blankets, and clothes for now. Go week by week for diapers and formula and wipes, don't over stock.. once the child is officially in your care, seek out a doctor as well so the child can be up to date on shots and check ups, etc.

But basically for right now, I would have a package of diapers, a package or two of wipes, 3 bottles, a large container of powdered formula, 3 receiving blankets, and at least 3-5 outfits that are weather appropriate. (include a set of socks and a jacket or sweater as well for chilly days). and of course a car seat. Once you get full custody, you can go on to buy the other things like stroller, bounce chair, sit and play stations, walkers, high chairs, etc.

At 6 months is the recommended age to start "solids" so you should be able to hold off financially there.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thank you all so much, I'm writing a list down and going to buy what I can with this pay check : )
    AimBre

Comment by AimBre (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I am really interested in becoming a foster parent!! it is a huge desire in my heart!! But anyways.. If it were me I would get all the basic necessities for a baby.. But shouldn't the baby's parents have that stuff like the carseat and crib at least?
    ashlee03

Answer by ashlee03 at 2:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011