Let's Talk About The Weather

We're getting hit with some really bad storms and I'm very anxious about it. My toddler is just fine but I'm very upset. Does anyone have any suggestions to calm me down? Tornadoes and thunderstorms really make me nervous. We're under Tornado watches until 2am.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Health

• I wish I could help, but I've been dealing with it since last Tuesday night. I think we are just now coming out of the storm pattern though, Thank God! The sirens have gone off 12 times in the past week! Today, four times. I've hidden in my closet, or at least in the bedroom... Just make sure you have a safe place to go to. I keep a candle, flashlight, and radio in there. I also have the Police Scanner App on my iPhone. (BEST THING EVER). I'm about ready to ask the Dr. for some Valium though... LOL!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• If you are religious, pray.

It helps me all the time.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:57 PM on Apr. 27, 2011

• Never assume the worst, just be prepared just in case. I'm under a tornado watch too. But I don't let it bother me. My 12 yr old son does enough of that for all of us. If there is a storm, he literally goes under cover after he closes all the blinds in our apartment. He just doesn't handle it well at all. Read a book, watch TV, listen to some music.....something to get your mind off of it. Your toddler can pick up on your feelings so it's important to remain calm no matter what. If you panic you won't do anybody any good at all. All you can do is prepare yourself for what may come. Let's pray for no tornadoes! We've had enough of them lately.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We didn't get it to badly here but we're still technically under a tornado watch. I'm a very anxious person and I can't concentrate to read and the computer was helping but I turned it off and unplugged it when it got bad. I settled for cleaning instead. I was scrubbing things I had already cleaned. I also started brushing the dog. That helps. When I get nervous I need something to do with my hands. My child's been asleep. I've been up listening out so she can't pick up on the fact that mommy's a neurotic nutcase. The dogs have been nervous and so have the horses. When the animals get nervous it makes me more nervous because they're more sensitive about these things then people are but, now that they have calmed down, I'm feeling a little better. I'm kind of hungry too. I never did eat dinner.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would do your best to make sure you are prepared for emergencies as best you can be, and then I would try to shift your focus. Read a book, listen to some music.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:40 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I watched some of the tornadoes on tv this morning. Its crazy how bad some of the weather is you all are getting. I wish I had some magical remedy taht would make you feel better, but alas I cant. Try to stay calm and do something that might take you mind off of it for a little while. Please stay safe. Ill say a little prayer that ever thing turns out okay.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I watched some of the storms on tv yesterday. then whated something on tv that is not the weather, or news. I did word seach Puzzles. love doing thouse. I get kinda scarred of Thunder Storms to.
    Fawn_Creek

Answer by Fawn_Creek at 12:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Animal behavior always affects me too OP. They sense things so much better than we do. Rearrange you food cabinet. Sounds wacky but it will keep you busy.
    Anonymous

• We got through it ok, but there were a few trees down in the yard. One landed on our fence so I've had to keep the horses in the coral instead of the pasture but I'm just glad that it didn't fall on the barn or the house.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Glad you are okay. I love storms but my 4 year old daughter hates them.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011