Transfer of Church Membership, why so important?

Me & DH just started going to a church about 5mo ago. And are thinking about joining.. DH went to church as a teen but has not been to that church for over 10yrs! And they are contacting his old church to "transfer membership"...
WHAT!? What is the big deal? It was over 10yrs ago! And is it really important different churches keep track where its "people" are?

Anyone able to explain any of this? (and btw if it matters any, the "old church" is a normal size church, our new church is actually known as 1 of the "mega churches" in Tx)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Apr. 27, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I joined my husband's church I had to go through a class so I knew the official doctrine. I also have voting rights. My kids have to go through classes to be confirmed and get voting rights when they turn 18. It may have to do with the business side like somebody said and voting rights or it may be they want to make sure he has a firm understanding of doctrine. This would be very important if he ever volunteers to take a leadership role. The church has a responsibility to make sure their lectures, communion assistants and Sunday school teachers know what they are doing and talking about. (btw I've had some Sunday school teachers come up with some whooper false doctrinein their classes. My kids tell me, and I tell the pastor.  We like to make sure everybody is getting the truth. Otherwise human beings have a tendency to throw in their own little superstitions.)

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Why don't you just ask them why they do that directly and then maybe what purpose that doing it will serve?
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• cont. It has more to do with believing fully and understanding the basic Doctrines of the Church you belong to and protecting those who don't quite understand from committing a grave error by receiving the Body and Blood without being in full communion with community you are worshipping with.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• In the Two different Churches that I am or have been an official member in it has to do with have you been through the membership class? Do you believe in the Doctrines of that domination? In the Church of the Brethren It had to with participating in the what they called the full communion. Washing of the feet etc. If you were not a baptised full member then you could not participate. In the Catholic Church for adults if you are not a baptised confirmed Catholic then you can't participate in Communion because they believe that Eucharist is the real presence of Christ body and blood. If you're a child you just need to be baptised. ( here under the age of 14) Both require that you take a type of class for about 6 months give or take a few. I do that at one time the Methodist, Lutheran, Anglican and few others required basically then same thing. It goes back to Paul warning about taking the body and blood unworthily. cont.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Perhaps it's just easier to transfer the membership than to have to start all over again? And, letting the old church know they can remove someone's name from the registry or whatever.... I know in churches in the same denomination, if you went through Confirmation or some sort of Discipleship class in order to be a full fledged member, it would be more ideal to transfer your status and so forth than to just trust that you've done it... And, too, some denominations are grouped together, under one kind of hierarchy or whatnot, so it may just be natural to transfer membership from one church to another if it's under the same system, if that makes sense. Just an easy way to keep up with everything and everyone (not in a big brother way lol).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Oh, as far as is it important if churches keep track of where it's people are, it can be. Not in a big brother way, and beyond spiritual ways.

Southern Baptist churches are independent; each member of each congregation helps (or CAN help at church meetings) make some decisions for that church - buying property, calling a pastor, etc etc etc. Whether your DH had been to that other church in 10 years or not, he could have voted on these things if he was on official membership there. By joining another church, his membership is transferred; he is no longer a member of that other church and can no longer vote there.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 12:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I know that my church offers new members classes for anyone who's thinking of joining and if you're not a member you can't vote on issues, but I doubt that they would contact your old church, especially if you hadn't attended in 10 years. They never contacted my old church when I joined.
    I remember when I was a kid, my mom and I started going to a different church. She wanted to take up membership. They said that she would have to be baptized into their church. She said, "No way! I've already been baptized once, into the body of Christ, and that's sufficient!" We never went back. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:18 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Never been to a church that actually has "membership". Heard of it but t sounds odd to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Very strange, but if it is fundamentalist , they would probably like a reference to the effect that he is a ' good christian ' !! , iMy former foster mother belonged to a sect that was very exclusive as to membership .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well that is just silly to ask a church if he is a "good christian" if he hasnt been there in over 10yrs!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011