My 8-month-old is not drinking milk

He's my first born. His diet starts (or should I'd say started with) 8oz. of milk. Then in between I feed him solids 3 times, sometimes my homemade fresh food (boiled and mashed), and sometimes gerber food along with one cup of flavored yogurt. And then ending with another bottle of 8oz. milk right before he goes to bed.
Okay now since past couple of weeks he has been troubling me. Especially in drinking milk. In the morning he'll take 8 ounces since he's sleepy. But at the last bottle he wont take more then 4 ounces, 6 if I'm lucky. during the day he won't let the bottle anywhere near him!
Tonight was just too much, he took the bottle in his mouth (without a problem) but then spat it out almost instantly. It was freshly made so it couldn't have gone bad. I even double checked the expiration date. I normally give him enfamil, but I have Simalic as backup too. He's a baby, I can't force food down this throat. Frustrated my husband tried stuffing the bottle (jokingly of course) in this mouth, but he had his mouth shut tightly and kept strugglingly out of my husband's grip. In desperation my DH gave up and told me to just put him to bed.
His last solid feed was at 8pm. Since he's skipping his milk feed so he'll be hungry throughout the night. I feel so bad, but what else should I do?? He wouldn't take solids either, any advice please. He's not underweight, but he's on the lower side

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He might not be hungry, don't worry he will eat when he's hungry. If he is teething he might not be as hungry. My 20 month old has had weeks like that
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 12:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You need to slow down on the solids hes still only 8 months old and milk should be his main source of food untill 12 months. Its ok to feed him solids just cut the meals in half so hes still wanting his milk. My daughter is 12 months and still nurses around the clock along with3 meals a day and snacks. My milk has always played a huge part in my kids diets.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would back of on the solids. They are supposed to be getting at least 24 oz of formula or breastmilk until 12 months. If he's not drinking his formula, he's getting too much in solids.

Answer by missanc at 8:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Your baby will likely wake you in the night if he needs fed, so I wouldn't worry about this one-time-only event.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If he is eating enough then this shouldn't be a problem. What is his bedtime? Could be he is too full from dinner. Don't stress too much over it, he can sense your frustration and it will make everything harder.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Try not to worry, he'll let you know if he's hungry. could be a growth spurt (they tend to stock-up before and then not want to eat and it goes in "waves"). Obviously if he is clamping his mouth shut he is not wanting it and maybe not even needing it. If he starts refusing all milk then maybe call your pediatrician, otherwise I think he'd be ok with whatever else you are giving him.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Maybe he is still too full, he is getting his nutrients so don't worry about.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Feeding is one of the biggest sources of worry for us mothers, but really you should just relax. If he's not hungry, don't force the issue. If he is hungry, he will eat. The thing is, babies and young kids go through some pretty big fluctuations in how much food they need on a given day, according to growth spurts, teething, activity level, etc. So to expect him to eat the same from one day to the next is unrealistic. Sometimes he'll be ravenous, other days just not that interested in food. That's how it should be, for a normal, healthy child. Trust him. Follow what he wants and don't stress about it.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would cut down on solids if only he would drink more milk. Insead of his morning bottle he almost completely stopped taking milk. Then on his 6-month appointment she told me he was very much on the lower side of the weight chart. Only then I increased his solids intake so at least something goes in his stomach. But I've called my doctor now and left her a message, hopefully she calls back soon. Thanks for the helpful advices ladies, I know I can always count on u gals whenever I have a question :)
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sorry,by she I meant his pediatrician
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Apr. 28, 2011