2 month old licking?

My 2 month old daughter has just recently started this habit of licking things. She'll lick my shoulder, arm, her hands, shirt, basically anything and everything...Why is she doing this?

kristina.de

Asked by kristina.de at 12:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Putting things into thier mouth, licking things, ect is how babies learn about the world around them...it's normal
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When mine did this it was "rooting" for the nipple, could be she is hungry.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She is half dog. Just kidding, that's normal. Babies like to taste everything.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It is normal. Psychologists call it an "oral" stage, meaning they are a little obsessed about their mouth. Everything needs to be tasted and sucked on or licked. It's how they explore, at this age. As she grows up, she'll become more "tactile", wanting to touch things, but for now it's all about the mouth. :P
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Your baby is probably "rooting". My daughter licked/gnawed on my shoulder, arm, leg--anything she could get her mouth on-- for the first 5 months of her life. She could just be curious. Im sure its nothing to worry about.
    LeahsMommy361

Answer by LeahsMommy361 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think they just like the way it feels. My daughter did that too....all the time! It's normal!
    CashsMama

Answer by CashsMama at 9:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter did the same. Totally normal, and kind of cute too! ;D
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 10:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011