Breastfeeding Pain

I am experiencing pain throughout each feeding. Sometimes it's so painful I'm in tears, but other times it only hurts a little.

Baby is nearly 3 weeks old, and we have no issues with correct latching, so I'm wondering what the problem can be. (Despite my pain, baby is eating great and on target for weight).

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 12:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Where is the pain? If there are cramps in your breast when the milk lets down, this is fairly common.
    If the pain is in the nipple area, check them for cracks. Sometimes the cracks can be so small they are hardly visible, but can cause a lot of pain during feeding.
    If you have hot areas on your breast with pain in the area, this could be a backed up gland. You can try to relieve the pain with a hot compress, but you may want to see your doctor.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 12:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks.

Would the baby's Pediatrician or my OB be a better person to ask? The lactation consultant at the hospital was a total flake, so I'm not going back there!
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would ask your OB or your baby's Pediatrician. It could be a number of things, hopefully nothing serious. Get with a MD just in case!
    LeahsMommy361

Answer by LeahsMommy361 at 1:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• This is what i experianced as well. It will pass in a few weeks at most. You may get horribe advice from a physician, saying to supplement with formula. I went thru the same thing, but it will pass. You're doing a great job.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 1:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The pain is normally like a burning trail from inside my breast through the nipple...
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Goody, maybe you can try to position the baby differently during feeding, like if you cradle the baby in your arms, try the football hold instead. It may just be soreness and changing the position might help the baby to latch on and place a little less pressure on the sorest area.

I think you are doing an awesome job, a lot of women just give up when they hit a bump in the road.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The burning trail may well only be letdown. TIME cures that. It's sort of like your muscles hurting when you start a new workout.

It COULD be thrush, though. Any redness of the nipples? Any rash on baby? White spots in the mouth are the last thing I'd look for as a thrush symptom; they're absent as often as they're present.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• it could be that your not positioning the baby well... You should call the hospital were you had the baby and ask for a lactation spec. or wic offers it to.
    myliljs

Answer by myliljs at 2:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I had a similar problem, I used heat pads on my breasts for 10 minutes before feeding my daughter and the pain eventually went away. You can buy breast pads that can be heated in the microwave in the baby section.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 10:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sounds like I'm not alone! Thanks for all the comments...today was a good day for us--no tears!
    GoodyBrook

Comment by GoodyBrook (original poster) at 11:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011