What would you do or say adult content

If one of your parents slapped your child in the face hard enough to cause a nose bleed. On purpose. Because the child was getting into personal items after being told not to.

My father did that tonight to my five year old son. He lives with us. I'm unsure what to do. I grew up with violence but do not want my son living like I did. I flipped out on my dad and yelled at him that I didn't want my son to have the same type of childhood that I did. In the meantime, my son is now terrified of him. So, how would you handle a situation like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow. Slapping should never be allowed, especially if it causes a nosebleed. That's abuse. I know it's not a good reaction but I would have punched my father in the face just out of rage and shock. Honestly I would ask my father to move out, just like any type of abuse it happened once it will happen again in my book.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• He would be out of the house immediately. I wouldn't even be okay with someone else spanking my child, let alone hitting him so hard it makes his nose bleed! That is just horrible and would be seen as physcial abuse in the eyes of CPS and a judge. Kick your dad out and don't ever leave your son alone with him again. That is what I would do and frankly, I'd have a real hard time ever speaking to my dad again after that. Ohhhh man my blood is boiling. If anyone ever laid a hand on my son I'd have a hard time holding back my fists.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Explain to your son that his grandfather has a problem showing love in the same way that you show love.

Kids are incredibly forgiving, and your son will get over being terrified of his grandpa eventually... But you really need to make your father understand that YOU are the disciplinarian in the household, and if he EVER touches your son in violence again, he will be escorted out of your house by the police...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• NOPE. No reason to hit a child like that. Either dad gets his shit together or he gets out.. but until then he would not in ANYWAY talk to or touch or discipline my child again. or else He will be gone for child abuse. and take pics.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree will all of the other ladies. I think I would try to find my Father a different place to live. My birth Father is that way and hasn't really been around my kids. My 15 year old wants to know him but he is not interested at all, I am relieved that my father doesn't want to be around my kids. I don't think I would want my child around him at all.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My father would be looking for somewhere else to live....right after he bailed out of jail. I told my parents and my in laws straight off, NEVER MAKE THE MISTAKE AND HIT ONE OF MY KIDS....and I told them I would have them arrested if they did. I'm one of those rare people who never bluff and those around me know this.

Maybe it's time your dad move out so your son can feel comfortable in his own home.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Definately get your dad out. You have to protect your son from that kind of behavior.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 1:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• GoodyBrook you said "Kids are incredibly forgiving, and your son will get over being terrified of his grandpa eventually"

Kids are really forgiving that's true. The bloody nose was only one of this child's wounds. The others are not visible and may not even show up until later, but child abuse takes a huge toll on a persons self esteem. Trust was also ruined by this event and it may never be reestablished again.
    AND... explaining to this child that some people show love differently after he's had his nose bloodied is sending out an extremely confusing message. That slap was NOT an expression of love...misguided or otherwise and I'd hope this mother would not want to send that message to her son.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It is NEVER acceptable to make a child bleed...EVER!!! I believe in corporal punishment...but I would have lost my mind on anyone--even my own father--had he made my child's nose bleed. I don't know if I would kick him out. But I could promise that he would know he better never put his hands on my child again. Poor baby.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i'd make sure the door hit him in the ass ON THE WAY OUT!!
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 12:45 PM on May. 8, 2011