I'm taking my son to the dentist for the 1st time tomorrow!

Well, I think tomorrow is gonna be horrible. Peter has never been to the dentist before. Any advice?

Jerseymom1228

Asked by Jerseymom1228 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my kids went for the first time last yr and my daughter cryed the whole time ofcourse i wasnt in the room with her the only advice i can give is tell him the dentist takes care of your teeth and wont hurt you
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Wow, that's a long time to wait to take your kid to the dentist! Good luck with that! lol
    Anonymous

• I know, I know. I honestly did not think that he had to start going until now. I took him for his well check up and the Dr. said that he needs to start going. He's my first kid and I'm still learning more everyday!!!!
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 7:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• To Jerseymom: Don't let anyone beat you up too bad!! We were poor, growing up, and I didn't see a dentist for the first time until I was 16...and I didn't have a single cavity!! Not that I recommend that...but I don't think it's the end of the world. The good and important thing is that you're taking him now! Kudos!! We ALL learn as we go!!

HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 8:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• What to expect totally depends on the kid's personality. My daughter has always been a perfect patient, even sitting still for shots from about age 4! She does her dental X-rays with no complaints, even though I know the films they use kind of dig into her gums. My son, on the other hand, had to be phsically restrained by me for the hygenist to clean his teeth (3 months ago, age 5). No amount of cajoling, logic or bribery helped. My solution: next time, I'm letting his dad take him! I hope your son is like my daughter!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 11:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Thanks for the encouragement ladies; I took Peter today and he did awesome; he does have some cavities though but as far as a cleaning and letting them check him out, it went great.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 4, 2008