What can be used to keep cats out of flowerbeds?

yummysmummy

Asked by yummysmummy at 1:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pets

• keep you peels, from oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruits. cut them some and toss into the flowers. when they degrade just let them rot, or toss out.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• pepper, sprinkle it around. they don't like it
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 1:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I had the same problem... I took the long wooden bamboo skewers used for kabobs and placed them in the bed pointy side up...close enough that my big fat cat couldn't find a place to lay his big,lazy furry butt down. :) Last year he killed everything!!!!
    The flowers will grow over the skewers and you won't see them, but the cat will know they're there.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 1:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• There's actually something you can buy to spray around to deter them, but I'm not sure what it's called. I've also heard that citrus scents will keep them away, but I'm not sure how true that is. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If you don't want to spray anything, I have also seen some little gadgets designed to scare animals out of gardens and flower beds. One of the is a decorative, nearly life-sized owl. It has a motion sensor on it, so when an animal comes near it, its eyes light up and it hoots loudly. Since most small animals--including cats--know they would make a nice meal for an owl, they should flee in fear. I don't know how long it might take for the cat to figure out it's a fake--probably depends on the cat. Some of them are easily spooked and after getting scared like that a couple of times, they might not come back. Some of them are a little braver though....
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:19 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• coffee grounds? dish water, it's supposed to help some plants grow better, I've seen where dishwater is good to kill off some bugs, for a good lawn, but for a cat... hmmm.

a stocking filled with cedar chips, or a high scented wood , take tin foil pie pans, and hang them up with sticks and twine so the wind blows them. they will make noise at least on a windy day.

get a dog.

coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I welcome them. They get the moles and voles for me. BUt you might a few of those motion scensor sprayers that they make for deer. That might help deter them.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• A gun.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011