Morals

Something sparked my interest in a previous post. It was said that morals have nothing to do with religion. I was wondering what some of the thoughts are on that.

I have believed in the bible as the word of God all my life and never really considered that basic morals would be any different than the Ten Commandments, or the other teachings in the Bible.

And to add to that, I have always assumed that my conscious was written in my heart by God himself. Thoughts...

sissy15

Asked by sissy15 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Morals:
    A: moral practices or teachings
    B: Ethics

Moral:
    a : of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior
    : ethical
    b : expressing or teaching a conception of right behavior
    c : conforming to a standard of right behavior

From the dictionary.

CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If a person lives a life with respect for others and commits no offenses against other people...like lying, cheating, stealing, etc... then the person lives by a good moral code. Their religion/nonreligion doesn't play into that.

Living by the Ten Commandments is the way the Christians teach moral conduct.

Both groups are moral, just with a different source to draw from.

You can't force another person to live by your own personal code of ethics....no matter what the source of those ethics are. Proclaiming that unless a person arrives at good moral conduct by your own personal belief system that the moral conduct is meaningless... is silly. Good morals are good morals, no matter what inspired them.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Proclaiming that unless a person arrives at good moral conduct by your own personal belief system that the moral conduct is meaningless

No no no, thats not at all what I am saying here. I'm saying that I have never considered the moral code from any other angle because of my belief. I am simply digging into other heads to see where their morals stem from: (I get mine from the bible and you get yours from...fill in the blank)

You need to understand that I do not come down on people for their own stuff. I just am interested in the diversity of human beings in general.
    sissy15

Comment by sissy15 (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sissy, I never thought you were implying that at all. Sorry if you took it that way. I was addressing an issue I've seen quite a bit.
    I get my moral code from common sense mostly. I know it's wrong to do mean things, so I don't. It's wrong to push people down and steal their money, I refrain myself. You see where I'm going with that?

It's just I see a lot of people who claim to be the moral authority and it's exclusive to them and those who are like them in their source for their ethics. I wanted to state my feelings on that issue, I probably should have done that somewhere else.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 4:02 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my morals stem from my inner voice....my conscious. My heart tells me what is right and wrong and I can either choose to listen to it or not. I do not follow the words of a book or a god...I am an atheist.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• People of all different walks of life have morals without the bible and have for many many years before it.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have always assumed that my conscious was written in my heart by God himself. --

and others believe its inate or taught by those who bring them up into childhood or adulthood. the vast majority of humans DO KNOW right from wrong, do know the meaning of respect, etc..we all have choices to make, volition/free will..whatever you want to call it.
    ''if i am to be, it is up to me.''
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I believe our morals come from within, though people can teach their morals to others (e.g. parents, role models, etc.). Society can have expectations of morals, but as soon as it's 'other-dependent', it's actually ethics--a collection of morals (e.g. ethics expected in a particular religion, in the workplace, in our families, in our cities or countries, etc.) Think of our morals as defining who we are--our personal character or how we decide what is right and wrong, while the ethics we follow reflect the society we live in. A person's moral code is usually unchanging, but what is considered ethical may possibly change with society's expectations. Morals are often subjective as well, it depends on individuals, and even ethics are subjective as one culture may consider something unethical or immoral while another doesn't. So, for those of us who don't believe in personal gods, it's something innate in ourselves--who we are.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Religion is a vehicle through which morality can be taught and practiced, but religion does not hold a monopoly on morality. Nor does morality originate with religion or faith.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well, HERE's my answer... Way to much to put here...  But to boil down the entire post, it mostly says I believe those without Religion involved can have equal or even greater morals than those with Religion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011