At what age should I explain about what a period is to my daughter?

My daughter is almost 9 and she is showing signs of breast development. I'm wondering when I should tell her about periods and how, so it won't scare her.

Ashoonik

Asked by Ashoonik at 3:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Since girls are getting their periods earlier and earlier (My sister Shayla just got hers and she is 11) I would probably tell her around 10 or 11....my mom didnt tell me until I was 13 but I didnt get it until I was 14 so that was fine lol...but our babies are growing up so fast now =( So yeah....my vote is for about 10 or 11
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If you're comfortable telling her now then I'd go for it. My mom told me a good while before I started mine but when I finally did I wasn't at all scared and I knew exactly what to do. It'd be best to tell her sooner so that she will be prepared and when she starts she'll know what it is and not be scared by it.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 3:40 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You know there are some fabulous books out there. I got one for my daughter and my daughter got one for her daughter. She was 9 and like your daughter showing all the signs. After the little heart to heart talk about having a period, the book serves to help them get sound information as they are curious about things. Some girls will share everything with their mom...they ask questions and tell how they feel. Others are not so comfortable and the book helps them to get answers on their own.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• yes i started at nione and knew what was happpening and it made it easier
    semipsychobaker

Answer by semipsychobaker at 3:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• she should have known already. My dd was 6 when i told her about the female reproductive organs. Glad i did, because she will most likely have her period early. She is 9 now.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:48 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would say 11,that's when i got mine or maybe 12. But it's only talking about a period but that's just me. I think the sex talk is something you should be feeling like that about. Not trying to be mean. Im stressing about the sex talk and she not even here yet.
    Unique11

Answer by Unique11 at 3:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My mom waited far too long. I think I was 12. I know I was in 6th grade and had already had sex ed in 5th grade at school.

Honestly if I had a daughter I would start explaining certain things around 8 or 9. Not necessarily the "sex talk," but puberty, period, hair growth, etc.

I didn't get my period until I was in 7th grade and I was horrified and uncomfortable telling my mom and I even hid it for a few months because it was super light to begin with. I really hope no one else has to feel like I did, it's such an awkward and confusing time as it is without adding the stress of not feeling comfortable talking to your mom about it.

Good luck. I'm sure you will do fine. My basic suggestion is to start out slow, don't dive right into periods and cramps, maybe start with underarm hair, needing deodorant, etc. Again good luck. I can't say that enough. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• She should already know. In 5th grade they go over it in the schools around here. Many of my friends daughters have gotten their period at 9. I talked to my daughter at 8.

Answer by missanc at 10:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• American Girl has a good book called The Care and Keeping of Me.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would say if she's already showing signs, you better do it now. My daughter is 10, showing no signs, but I've already talked to her about it.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011