Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Mercury in tooth fillings....a pieced of my tooth chipped off along with a piece of the filling while i was eating. without knowing i swolloed both

I didn't realize what happen till I was done eating. Should I be worried about mercury exposure? My husbands thinks im okay and there's no need for concern. What do you think?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Health

Answers (12)
  • I think you are fine also. I don't think they would of put enough mercury in a filling that would hurt you since there is always a chance of it falling out and getting digested. Unless you just start feeling sick, I wouldn't worry about it.
    firepony

    Answer by firepony at 5:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • People do that all the time, I doubt it will hurt you. I'd be more worried about getting it fixed.Theres always a chance of them falling out.
    letlovegrow2524

    Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Unless you start showing signs of mercury poisoning I don't think you should worry as pp said the amount of mercury digested is minimal. Try to avoid continuation of exposure to mercury by asking to your Dentist for alternatives for cavity fillings. The white amalgams maybe?
    MMXI

    Answer by MMXI at 7:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • It happens. I would call your dentist and ask them if there is anything you should be concerend about.
    ethans_momma06

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I say wait a couple days to see if you pass it in your bowel movement. If you dont. Call a doctor.
    Wish2Be

    Answer by Wish2Be at 8:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • get it fixed. have eaten several pieces.about 10 years ago still walking the earth.
    AMMA554

    Answer by AMMA554 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • You are fine the amount of mercury in the amalgam filling material is minimal and you would have been exposed to it when the filling was put in and the duration of the filling. I would suggest you go to a dentist and see what he can do to fix your tooth.

    MizLee

    Answer by MizLee at 9:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Tooth fillings with mercury leach out trace amounts of mercury from the day they were put into your tooth. So hypothetically you have had minute mercury exposure for many years. Swallowing it is not a big deal, you'll eventually expell it. I had most of my fillings replaced years ago before I even found out about this just because the new white fillings look better.

    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I think that you'll be ok.
    stitchintime

    Answer by stitchintime at 2:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I think it is not a high exposure so you'll be ok. if you don't think so call the doctor.
    sodapple

    Answer by sodapple at 5:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN