Mercury in tooth fillings....a pieced of my tooth chipped off along with a piece of the filling while i was eating. without knowing i swolloed both

I didn't realize what happen till I was done eating. Should I be worried about mercury exposure? My husbands thinks im okay and there's no need for concern. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Health

• I think you are fine also. I don't think they would of put enough mercury in a filling that would hurt you since there is always a chance of it falling out and getting digested. Unless you just start feeling sick, I wouldn't worry about it.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 5:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• People do that all the time, I doubt it will hurt you. I'd be more worried about getting it fixed.Theres always a chance of them falling out.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Unless you start showing signs of mercury poisoning I don't think you should worry as pp said the amount of mercury digested is minimal. Try to avoid continuation of exposure to mercury by asking to your Dentist for alternatives for cavity fillings. The white amalgams maybe?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 7:05 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It happens. I would call your dentist and ask them if there is anything you should be concerend about.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 7:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I say wait a couple days to see if you pass it in your bowel movement. If you dont. Call a doctor.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 8:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• get it fixed. have eaten several pieces.about 10 years ago still walking the earth.
    AMMA554

Answer by AMMA554 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You are fine the amount of mercury in the amalgam filling material is minimal and you would have been exposed to it when the filling was put in and the duration of the filling. I would suggest you go to a dentist and see what he can do to fix your tooth.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Tooth fillings with mercury leach out trace amounts of mercury from the day they were put into your tooth. So hypothetically you have had minute mercury exposure for many years. Swallowing it is not a big deal, you'll eventually expell it. I had most of my fillings replaced years ago before I even found out about this just because the new white fillings look better.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think that you'll be ok.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 2:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think it is not a high exposure so you'll be ok. if you don't think so call the doctor.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 5:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011