Where are the dead?

This is in response to a question I posted a couple days ago reguarding something I saw in 1 Corinthians.

"This is what my Bible says...tell me if you disagree, which I'm sure you will, lol. I'm NOT trying to argue, I like getting your responses. I like researching it. I like chellenging things. Don't take it personally please.

Where are the dead?
A few take the words "fallen asleep" literally and believe that the dead remain unconscious until the Lord returns. But most see this as a euphemism: that the body "sleeps" while the spirit remains conscious. When Christians die, their bodies go into the grave while their spirits go to be with Jesus. When unbelievers die, their bodies go into the grave while their spirits go to a place of torment.

(cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• the dead...body remains in the ground...soul , if you remain true to the lord goes with the Him, if not, well, you will be in torment.I feel for people who don't believe. You are about to have a rude awakening!
    Anonymous

• (cont frmo above)

The OT speaks in a limited way about the "grave", where all go at death. The NT uses the greek word Hades for the OT concept, but expands on it considerably. Jesus hinted that Hades is divided into 2 parts-one for the wicked and one for the righteous. For the wicked it is described as torment agony, and fire; for the righteous it is comfort and rest.

Gehenna is another word for Hell, the final place of judgement upon the wicked. It was borrowed from the phrase meaning the Valley of Hinnom, a place where human sacrifices and pagan worship had occured. During NT times the place was the Jerusalem city dump where fires burned continually-a graphic image of perpetual torment and judgement.

When Christ returns, those who have died and are with Jesus will be given new bodies--resurrected, glorified bodies. At the final judgement unbelievers will be thrown into the lake of fire. "
    Anonymous

• The human soul ceases to exist at death
    Ps. 6:5; 146:4; John 11:11-14Ezek. 18:4; Eccl. 9:10;
    . Hell is mankind’s common grave
    Rev. 20:13, 14, AV (margin)Job 14:13 , Dy;
    Hope for dead is resurrection.1 Cor. 15:20-22;
    John 5:28, 29; 11:25, 26
    Spiritism must be shunned
    Deut. 18:10-12; Gal. 5:19-21; Lev. 19:31
    Satan is invisible ruler of world.
    1 John 5:19; 2 Cor. 4:4; John 12:31
    Anonymous

• So, are you saying this is where you stand or are you disagreeing with the statement that you just made? You've gotten this far.. not being sarcastic, but you really have some good reasearch here.

Now whatever it is that you are trying to believe in.. that is, if it is different from this... try finding it in the bible. Try to find somewhere in there where it says you will die and your spirit will float off to heaven. Try finding that. Or try finding something in your bible that says if you are bad that you will die and your spirit will go straight to hell.. and after you do that, try finding something in there that says hell is where the devil is.
    Anonymous

• Like anon. above said. The dead are basically sleeping and their sprit is with god. They will be resurrected when they awake and they will return to earth. Heaven is only for the anointed people.
    Anonymous

• 7:07. Hell is the grave. The devil does not effect any bad people after they die.
    Anonymous

• This is the OP: The other anon postings are not mine, lol.

That's what I'm trying to do but I'm finding verses that support both ideas. That's why I'm looking for input frmo others. Scriptural references to back up the idea. I was taught that when we die, we go to Heaven (or the holding place until actual Heaven is created). But that we ARE conscious.
    Anonymous

• I know that "To be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord" is in the Bible. That tells me that we are with the Lord immedicately after we leave our bodies.

(OP here)
    Anonymous

• 7:07 i did not make all the anon. statments above.
    Anonymous

• OP true
    Anonymous