Pumping while pregnant?

I am 35 weeks pregnant and my breasts have been leaking for a while now. And they are leaking a LOT. Is it ok to go ahead and start pumping and freezing the milk so that I'll have it for the baby? Will I leak all of my colostrum before my baby even gets here?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 6:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you start pumping now (in addition to possibly starting labor) you will be telling your body to produce MORE milk.

Remember that you produce exactly the nutrients in your milk that the baby needs AT THAT MOMENT. IF you were to pump your milk 5 weeks before your baby uses it, you run the risk of not providing the baby the nutrients that it needs when s/he needs them...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 12:22 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• That could make you go into labor way too soon better off just getting some nursings pads. You won't leak all your colostrum.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Just get some breast pads. You rfeally shouldn't pump before the baby is born. It may seem like you are leaking a lot, but there will be plenty for your baby.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 6:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You will most likely have alot of milk after baby arrives. No need to pump NOW. Milk is made by hormones now and later by the stimulation of the baby's suck. Low milk supply will not be your issue. That is the good news.
    marriagecoach

Answer by marriagecoach at 3:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You all brought up some very valid points that I didn't even think about!! Thanks girls!
    tiffanynichols

Comment by tiffanynichols (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Apr. 29, 2011