Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How long do you wait to take your child to the doctor?

Today makes day 3 since my dd (she's 5, almost 6) has had a fever.Its 100 right now but I took that while she was sleeping.(Its usually a little higher when she's asleep) The fever is down from 102 yesterday.She's not completly bed ridden. She got up off and on while she was sick to play and only has a cough. I suspect she's getting better today. I think I should just wait it out but not sure. Just wondering what the norm is. Don't worry, I know to get medical advice from an advice nurse but I'm just wondering what other moms would do. Sometimes I feel taking them in everytime they get a sniffle may be overkill but I'd hate to ever regret not taking them in if they needed it.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (12)
  • For mild fevers I wait a week, unless there are other more severe symptoms as well.

    Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I agree, as long as she is playing and acting normally between resting a bit I would wait it out. If she gets lethargic though I would definitely take her in

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • As long as she is playing a little and drinking plenty of water or juice then I would wait it out a little longer. You can always call if you get really concerned. When my oldest was 11 he had a fever that ran between 102 and 104 for a coupld of days. When he stopped drinking water and became very dehydrated, he was throwing up, we took him to the ER, per doctors orders. They said he just a the flu and if he stayed home he would have been better in about a week. Since we were there they gave him some IV fluids and told us he would be better in a couple of days, and he was.

    Staying hydrated in the key, don't worry so much about what she is eating, just make sure she is drinking lots a fluids.

    Good Luck!

    Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • We rarely hit the doctors office. Ear pain lasting longer than 5 days. Colored snot lasting longer than 5 days with a fever. Most things are viral and will run there course in 3-5 days. If it looks or sounds like it has become an infection such as a sinus infection, bronchitis or they have been not drinking/eating well and seem dehydrated. When my DS had tubes in his ears ear pain would get him to the ent so they could clear out the tubes but typically I let ear infections run there course. IMO antibiotics are over prescribed mostly because I think parents feel better to be handed a prescription. I am glad to have found a doctor that agrees with my views. To each their won though, this is why there are so many different kinds of doctors out there.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 7:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • ya I would just wait it out I would say if the fever was a little higher and not going down or she had other symtoms, but most kids do get a fever with a cold. So maybe she is just getting a cold. My 6 year old had this this month. I took her in though because she threw up 2 days and a fever then it went away but couldn't talk hardly both times i took her she was fine nothing wrong then i took her this month again and she had an ear infection got meds didn't go away and she went back again 2 weeks later ended up having a sinus infection. She has had this since the beginning of March and she is just now starting to get better. So I would just wait to see if it looks like it is getting worse because I would hate to pay for a visit for them to tell me everything is fine.

    Answer by mommy5409 at 7:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I've learned to wait. I used to call right away but now I wait for at least 3 days and if things aren't noticeably improving I call the doctor.

    Answer by meooma at 8:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • When your child seems lethargic then is when you MUST take him/her to the doctor.

    Answer by MMXI at 8:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Doctor told me if they are still feverish after 5 days, or the fever isn't being reduced with Tylenol/Ibuprofen, or if the fever hits higher than 104?, that's the time to take 'em in.

    Personally, if my little Laura gets a fever for more than 24 hrs, that's when I take her in. She's prone to UTI's, and that is one of the symptoms.

    Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • If they are drinking normally and the fever is mild, I wait it out unless it seems to get worse or he tell me something hurts.

    Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 4:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I go by my gut. I try to let them get better on their own, but if they are more miserable than a cold and if I can not make them feel even a little better, then I will take them in. It also depends on what the symptoms are. My 2 year old always has breathing problems, so I tend to take her to the doctor more than her siblings when it comes to illnesses.  Sorry your child is sick. 


    Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.