I found someone's Birth Certificate

Ok, so I was walking downtown with my boys yesterday and I saw a piece of paper on the ground. It didn't look like trash, it looked important. You know how you can tell right away what a serious document looks like lol. Well it was in front of a mechanic/used car lot so I figured it was someone's registration or title and that I could just bring it in and be done with it.
Nope, it was some lady's birth certificate. So I stuck it in my purse.
Luckily it's for an adult, and an unmarried one at that, otherwise I probably wouldn't have found her name in the phonebook when I got home. I called the number and it just rfang and rang. Instead of an answering machine at the end though I got this weird screechy tone.
I'm going to try calling again today but if I don't get ahold of her what shoulf I do? Mail it to the address listed in the phonebook? What if she doesn't live there anymore?

Nicoles2LilRams

Asked by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would take it to the police station if you can't get a hold of her today. Better to know it is safe with them than mailed to a perfect stranger-if the address is incorrect.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Are you sure it wasn't obama's???? hahah jk
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes, please don't destroy it! Then she'll have a hassle getting a new one.

I wouldn't mail it, especially now a days with so much fraud going on.

I would take it to the police station and see if they will take care of it for you.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Don't destroy it, it is a pain in the neck to replace keep trying to get in touch, the owner will forever grateful.

Answer by older at 8:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• try to call more. she was probably using a fax machine. they will make that sound when in use on a landline.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:54 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would destroy the document as it is personal and private information. It is easy to obtain copies of your birth certificate. The lady must already think that the document is no way to be found.

Or you can call the nearest Police Precinct to confirm if you can drop off the birth certificate. Is good that the birth certificate was found by a caring person as yourself!
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 7:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• or if the address is local, go knock on her door.
    dullscissors

• yeah i would either take it to the police station or back to the vital records office.
    amberpaiz

• Police station doesn't it say if found mail or call here? I can't remember lol.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 8:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I did look for some "if found" instructions but here weren't any. And it's a NJ vital stats doc but she and I live in PA so... why make a hassle for her? I think if I don't get in touch I will take it to the police. DH lost his wallet once and someone turned it in and an officer brought it right to our door
    Nicoles2LilRams

Comment by Nicoles2LilRams (original poster) at 8:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011