How to build her confidence?

My daughter is nearly 13 years old and has a beautiful voice. She has been singing for years now and I can tell she really likes it but I think her confidence is what keeps her back sometimes. She is actually in a musical and I get to see it Friday and she wants to go to Julliard! She refuses to sing in front of me or my family and has a bit of stage fright. Any suggestions on how I can help her?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it's just something she has to learn to work through
    not sure how to help- my duaghter sings and does drama and has found her way of working through it.

sorry I'm not more helpful on this one!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• no I think you are right. I think in time she will overcome
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well she will have to try out in front all of people when she wants to go to Juillard. Maybe just start small with maybe family karoke that way eveyine is one the spot singing at a church or old folks home .Being in school choir could help.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 3:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My daughter is also 13 and in 8th grade. She has been in musical theater since she was 8 and is currently working on her 19th production. She has been taking voice for about 1 year and acting since September. I think the voice lessons have helped her tremendously with her confidance. She does take it very hard when she doesn't get a part she wants. She recently got passed over for the lead role in her middle school play . She is the understudy, but that's no consolation. I think the best thing to do for your daughter is voice lessons and maybe a drama/ musical theater camp this summer. Her confidence will come in time. Just keep encouraging her.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks ladies. She has really enjoyed the drama and the singing for so many years. I think vocal lessons are right to consider.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I honestly do not know. I sang in choirs growing up and know I have an decent voice, but due to ONE person discouraging me it totally effected my self esteem in my singing as well as other areas. Just encourage her and hopefully she will gain more faith in her abilities.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• idk
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:57 AM on May. 18, 2011

• The more she is in front of crowds and large groups of people the more comfortable she will be. I've been singing since I was about 11 years old, every thing from choirs to solos to groups and musicals, every year it gets a lot better. Just keep her involved.
    malexander2009

Answer by malexander2009 at 9:27 PM on May. 27, 2011

• i would see if shes willing to practice in front of just you.....or record it...begin slowly. maybe tlak to her and see what fears she has and help her set up small goals to accomplish and overcome her fears
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 10:02 PM on May. 31, 2011