Do you keep your kids away from family members if you don't like the way they parent their kids?

I mean, if your sister's kids are wild and out of control, rude and loud, do you let your sister babysit YOUR kid? Do you avoid visiting them, afraid that your kids will absorb the bad attitude of the other kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't let her babysit, but I wouldn't keep my child away from hers either. Kids learned how to behave in different environments, and if you explain to your kids that the behavior is not acceptable and stick to it, they will learn. I grew up next to my cousins, who are wild. We weren't.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 8:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Only if I'm in a bind. I am pretty much in the same situation as your asking.

My ds kids are older and well, I don't like all the habits my kids pick up from hers. It's not really her parenting skills, it is more the age. Not all her children are like this, just one, maybe 2.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No not unless those kids are being mean to my kids Or teahing them things they shouldent ! I would let them babysit if i knew what was going on sometimes its not the parents its just life.. kids go to school and are around so much things that influence them to be so bad
    PrissyT

Answer by PrissyT at 8:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't let them babysit but I wouldn't completely exclude them either. I would just keep it to a minimum.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, i don't avoid visiting. I think it sets a good example on how NOT to act. I don't give a rats ass how someone else parents their kids, i only care about how i parent my child. If they are running all over the place being brats, my DD will not be joining them. For one, it would set a good example for my sister....two...it will help my DD see how i DON'T want her to behave.

I might let my sister babysit. I don't think one evening with a non-disciplining aunt, would affect her to the point where she would change her behavior. I guess it also depends on the severity though. If she let her kids go out did not know where they were going, then no....there are lines i do not cross.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• when i run into situations like that no i don't let them babysit and i normally have playdates at my house so that the rules still apply. And usually that stops the "craziness"
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't let any of my siblings (to include hub's bro) babysit my kids. Mostly because they don't have kids of their own (and the one that has a kid never sees her anyway).

But in your situation, no, I would not allow the babysitting, but I would allow the interaction, simply because maybe her kids would learn a thing or two. I wouldn't have their destructive behavior at my house, however.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• no we still visit in the hopes tha my sons good manners rub of on my nephews instead of their 'tudes rubbing off on mine. I have spent way to many years seperated from my family by miles to not visit over manners
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No i won't. my family hasn't seen my oldest in years and has never met my youngest for this reason. no thanks. like others have said.. I don't want their bad attitudes and bad manners to rub off on my children. They are family so them seeing that kind of behavior seems like it would be more picked up rather than at school where there is clearly no blood relation to fall back on.

I wouldn't allow babysitting and would try to stick to just family get togethers for major events. if they can't behave in your home ask them to leave.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:00 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• she wouldn't be babysitting them but that wouldn't be the reason I didn't go around them, they will see the same behavior out at the mall or school,etc, their actions to me would be a good example of a bad example. it helps for kids to have a visual on what is ok and what isn't ok. Imo
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 9:03 AM on Apr. 28, 2011