Sister-in-law brings my nephew over when he has Bronchitis! How do i tell her the "boundries"??

I just started being a SAHM watching my daughter and my two nephews last monday. My youngest nephew is the exact same age as my daughter. He has had this horrible caugh since before i started watching them. But i was told he has Asthma. Well she takes him to the doctor yesterday to find out he has Bronchitis. And she brought him over here! Risking my daughter gettin sick too! I understand she will be around other kids now so she will get sick but shit bronchitis at that little of an age ((6 months)) could kill them!! Im so upset that they wouldnt respect me enough to know that if they coulnt take him to a daycare, why would it be ok to bring him to me? They pay me next to nothing. I am doing this to be able to be with my daughter all day but still get some kind of income to help out.
Im so upset because i KNOW she wouldnt have dare took him to the daycare like that...so why becuz i am family that she would think it would be ok with me?
My daughter has not gotten sick ONCE this whole past winter cuz my husband and i went out of our way to be sure she was comfortable at all times! If they didnt take those precautions with their son its not fair for them to bring him over here and give her what he has. Im so upset! How do i set rules and boundries without upsetting them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had bronchitis and didn't pass it to anyone else in the house. Just ask her not to bring babe over when he should clearly be at home in his own bed sick.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• First of all, your daughter has already been exposed to Bronchitis. Secondly bronchitis rarely kills healthy kids. Oh and kids get sick, it's what they do. It's what they NEED to do to be healthy. But I would just tell your sister in law that she's not allowed to bring the kids over when they are sick.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• people behave towards you, how you allow them to. You should have told her the second you found out he had it, that he is not coming to your house until he is well.

You did not say NO, you so kind of allowed her to take advantage of you. Not totally her fault, you have to voice your opinion if it means this much to you.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• bronchitis is a severe illness & extremely contagious & yes, can be fatal to young babies if not taken care of fast enough.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Bronchitis is not contagious. It is a secondary infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Samurai_chica- you are completely right. But i didnt even know he had Bronchitis until she brought him over this morning. I didnt want to mess with her job and be like...well he needs to go home. And make her have to call into work 5 mins before she got there. I was trying to being considerate. I think i will just let her know next time he is sick... he spends one day at home (w/ meds) before he comes over here
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think that you need to talk to your sil and set up some 'rules' for babysitting and let her know that if her little one is sick she needs to find an alternate sitter for the duration of his illness. Ideally she should have called you and told you he was sick, instead of dropping him off and assuming you would still watch him. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Mizlee- yeah! you would think she would have called yesterday and told me what she found out. But she didnt on purpose now that i think about it. She just came walking in here explainin to me his breathing machine really fast and then left. Anytime Avery was sick, i would WANT to be at home with her because i want to be there for her incase something happens and she needs me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• anon, you're misinformed...it is VERY CONTAGIOUS! You're probably thinking of pneumonia....here is some info you might want to read on bronchitis...

http://www.1healthfacts.com/bronchitis-relief-and-treatment/
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Samurai- thank you!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011