What's the point in praying for someone after the tragedy?

I understand that there are still people remaining after the storms that are alive, and dealing with loss..But my basic question is
If you are going to Pray for someone during bad storms, Wouldn't it be wisest to pray BEFORE the storms?
Or to ask for people to pray for others BEFORE the storms?
Wouldn't you get the most bang for your buck, praying before the devastation, and not after.
I'm a big girl, and I welcome all posts. Thank you for your answers in advance.

jewjewbee

Asked by jewjewbee at 10:04 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Wow. 92 answers so far. So much for reading everyone's responses. I don't have that kind of time! lol This might come off as sounding selfish (I hope not), but did we KNOW that an earthquake and a tsunami was going to hit Japan? No. So how could we have prayed beforehand? If we looked at prayer from that point of view, we'd ALWAYS be in prayer because we'd need to pray for everybody on the planet. This is the part that might sound selfish: I've got so much on my own plate to pray about. Of course I pray for my family, friends, church, our troops, and community, but praying for people in other parts of the world doesn't cross my mind that often. But when tragedy does strike someplace, then it's at the forefront of our minds.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We can't always anticipate storms in our life. Someone may not ever suspect their house will be destroyed or their kid will get cancer. Sometimes we have to pray through our struggles. Just because we pray doesnt mean God will stop all bad from happening, it just means he will give us strength and guidance and resting places as we get thru the bad times. We should always be praying but sometimes we have to pray for help as we pick up the pieces.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You pray for those who were lucky to be alive and homeless, for God to give them the strength to cope, and you pray for those who died to save their souls.

Answer by older at 10:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You should pray before and after, pray before that God will keep the people safe during this horrible storm and after that everything is ok with the people hurt by the storm and that they recieve healing and that the familys and friends remain strong during this devastating time
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 10:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Jewjew - you know me to be a fair and honest person. And given the idea that CM may or may not have removed your very 1st comment - I did finally go over to the closed question and read it . The first response that I see posted by you was, in and of itself derogatory, and diminishing to the totality of the subject itself. Now, before I go forward let me quote the 1st response I saw from your pseudo as a reference "Uhmm....don't be offended, but shouldn't we have asked for prayers last night?" The overall tone of this sentence (taken in context) suggest finger-wagging. Almost in a manner that seemed intentional & to express admonishment towards the OP for not having prayed before the storms (which was an implied assumption). Yes, she responded in kind, defensively. You had the opportunity then to clarify yourself, but you did choose to do otherwise and did contribute to the overall descension of the post in it's entirety.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 3:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Oh I don't know...maybe I am praying for the people still LOST. There are bodies to be found. I am praying for the people finding out their loved ones have been found and did not make it. I am praying for strength for the people finding the deceased. I am praying for no more injuries during clean up. Just to name a few.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'm an Atheist, but I think the answer to your question is obvious. If you pray for someone after a tragedy, you're praying that "God" will help them through a difficult time. Whether they lost a loved one, their house, their livelihood, etc. You pray that God will open doors and help them heal.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 10:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't understand why praying irks some people, even if you don't believe in it where is the harm?

Answer by older at 10:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• well while the tornado was ripping through my town i didn't think to get on cafemom and ask for prayers, sue me for taking care of my kids and getting them to a safe place, how selfish of me! now for those who lost family members and homes, they still need prayers to have the strength to get through this difficult time. grow up!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No jewjew, it is never too late.....you can't understand the power of prayer because you do not believe.

Answer by older at 10:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011