Do you know what your home daycare provider wants from you?

Some parents understand this while others just don't get it. So I made a list of what I think is the most important things parents should know. You want to be happy with your daycare provider but your daycare provider also deserves to be happy with you.

1.) They want to be paid on time. You want them to be there when you need them and you expect your paycheck to be on time. We don't want to hear your sob stories about how you don't have the money because we also have families of our own and need the money that we work for to pay our bills.

2.) They don't want you to sit and talk forever at drop off and pick up time. We have things to do and other kids to care for, we don't have time or for the most part do we care about your current life dramas.

3.) If you say your going to be dropping off at 7:00 in the morning be there at 7:00 not 6:30. We would like to be up and ready when you get here, not still in the shower, or in our nightgown.

4.) Be on time to pick your child up. When we say 5:30 is closing time that is what we mean. We don't care that you needed to go by the store and didn't want to have to take your child with you because they would throw a fit wanting everything. We want to be off work on time just like you want to be off work on time.

5.) Make sure your child is wearing weather appropriate clothing including shoes. We like to go outside and play and its not fair to the other kids not to get to go out because your child didn't bring shoes or a coat.

6.) Don't send your child in dress clothes and expect them to not get messed up. We do art, eat our own food even if we get messy, and go outside. Your child has fun while their here and sometimes that means getting messy.

7.) Call us if you are not coming or if you are coming late. We do plan activities and cook the amount of food that we need to and if we don't have other children that day we would like to enjoy our day off. Let us know so that we may plan accordingly.

8.) Don't bring your child when they are sick. Also don't give them Tylenol to make their fever go away so you can sneak them in for a few hours. Bringing your child when their sick is not fair to your child, to the other children or the provider.

9.) Don't expect us to never need to take a day off for vacation or because we get sick. Sometimes we need to relax just like you and sometimes we get sick just like you and if you brought your sick child to us to care for that is probably why we are sick now.

10.) Don't think that your child is the only one here and should get special attention. No, we will not carry your baby on our backs while cooking lunch, changing diapers, or anything else simply because they like being held. We will be happy to give your child the same amount of attention as everyone else because it is the only fair thing to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• clapping

zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:10 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• clapping My mom was a home daycare provider and her best friend is too.  These are all things I have heard them say more than once.  :) 

momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 10:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• One more time I'm glad to just stay home instead of messing with daycare.

Oh and get ready for someone to call you out because this technically this is a vent and belongs in the journal section. They've already been doing that today.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Wow Anon, I didn't see asking a question as an attack.. I'll keep that in mind before i ask a question..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• good   as someone who has been there- I agree and would like to add one as well

* If you will not be needing me anymore, please give some notice and not jsut call one morning to say you are done. Thank you

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Used daycare for 4 years and I agree with most of what is written. A day off-you should have emergency backup. Don't call us in the morning to tell us you are sick and will not be able to take the children. Have backup and then you can take whatever time off you need.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• bouncing momwell said

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well said!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'm sorry I don't have a back-up except for my husband who also works, he does have some days off during daycare but not everyday. Parents know this when they come to me for care. The last thing I need when I'm sick is to have children in the house running around all day so I don't get any rest and can't even go into my kitchen to get some food or a drink without coming into contact with the kids. Also if I had a backup to take a vacation they would still be in my house so it wouldn't be much of a vacation now would it?If that is a problem for parents then don't choose a home daycare. I also have not taken one day off for being sick in the last year. So no, I don't call in all the time. However, on the rare occasion that I need too it would be nice to have some understanding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you. It was meant mostly for people who are actually rude enough to disrupt the daycare routine or inconvenience daycare workers. But your list does sound like you're fed up and tired of the hassle though. It's easier to not give enough attention to all the kids or be short tempered when you're irritated about others thoughtless actions. I went through it as a child and am very familiar with a lot of this kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2011