Has anyone ever been prescribed Zoloft before?

If yes how does it affect you?

Ganell87

Asked by Ganell87 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes. I hated it. It caused me to gain weight, my mouth was dry all the time, and one of the side effects is that it can cause diabetes, which already has affected some members of my family.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My sister was on it and liked it better than anything else they tried for her. She lost a little weight (nothing scary, but between 5 - 10lbs), she was a bit tired until she adjusted to the med then said she had more energy, and her mood was stable throughout the "transition time" between the time she started the med until she had adjusted to it.

With other meds they tried before Zoloft, she did not have an easy time. Wellbutrin I remember affected her BIG TIME...made her gain weight, made her really snappy, and she kept saying she felt like she was on crack or something.

I REALLY believe that each person reacts differently to the different meds, like the PP said she hated Zoloft while my sister liked it. If it isn't working out for this situation, definitely speak up. The doctor might encourage you to give it a month for an "adjustment period", but don't be afraid to say if it isn't working so you can find one that will.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• it was a while ago, but I was on it when I was in highschool. It just made me feel more leveled out. Well that and I have cotton mouth from hell lol :-)
    Michelle H.

Answer by Michelle H. at 1:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have been prescribed Zoloft, although I take the generic brand, because it's cheaper, and they are said to be equivalent, by the FDA. My Dr. said this would help to increase the serotonin levels, which is your chemical that produces the happy or satisfied feelings. So for the first week I took 25mg then for a month I took 50mg now I take 75mg daily and things have been better on the depression side. I still have stress in my life, but I try to take alternative methods of dealing with different situations, because we all know each one is different. I don't have any side effects, but hate to miss "mommys lil helpers".
    cclarkkolb

Answer by cclarkkolb at 12:58 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• After my father died I was prescribed Zoloft. It helped with the depression I was experiencing at that time. My side effects were weight loss and difficulty sleeping. I started taking it at an earlier time of the day and the sleep issues were eventually resolved. I'd go on Zoloft again if I ever get into another depression. It brought my serotonin levels up to where they needed to be for me to be a fully functioning person. I was on it for about 9 months.
    cege

Answer by cege at 7:09 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• No but I take Effexor XR which has worked for me, no sexual side effects like some of the other drugs
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 3:17 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My daugher takes it, it caused some weight gain, but now she is on concerta and is loosing it. She does really well on it and it is used to treat her anxiety :)
    lovemamma

Answer by lovemamma at 12:39 PM on May. 5, 2011