Why do our dogs whine and chew on their legs and butt?

They start licking, then chew hard on their feet or butts. We don't have fleas. Their paws and butt only get red or irritated from the licking and chewing.
I will take them for a walk and they come home and do the same thing. And the worst part is they will whine like they are hurt and they are hurting themselves.
They don't do it all the time but I would say it happens at least once a day.

SeasideNative

Asked by SeasideNative at 10:23 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Pets

• There are many things that can cause this. Certain breeds are more prone to allergy problems but even they can be helped. fleas can cause this even if they don't have fleas now they could have been bitten. The itch will last long after the fleas are gone. It could be food allergies and/or environmental. If they are biting at their rear that is a good indication that it is either worms or their anal glands. I had a Golden retriever that was allergic to basically everything under the sun. She had food allergies so I put her on California Natural and a supplement called Nupro. That made a HUGE differance! Zippy went from having a dull coat, constant ear and skin infections and hot spots to having a gorgous coat and no more skin problems. The best part was that I no longer had to use pred. I also kept her on advantage year round because she was also allergic to fleas. Every so often I would have to give her Benadryl.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Dry skin, allergies, nerves. Oatmeal baths could help. Aloe sprays too. If it's nerves, find a doggie xanax!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Those are hot spots, mine do it too, there is a spray for this in pet shops.

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would take them to a vet to get a proper diagnosis.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Could be mites too..My baby of 9 years had to be put down last summer cause they got so bad. The vet I used kept telling me she just had allergies. Which i think she did too, But at some point picked up a mite too, and by the time we figured out thats what it was it was too late to do anything with. Plus she was older anyways for her breed...But if you have two dogs doing the samething, what would lead me more to think mites

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• cont. It could also be an obsessive compulsive disorder. Some dogs will continue to lick and chew on themselves even after the itch has stopped because it has become a habit. Some will do it because they are bored or stressed.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• oh Hypothyroidism is another possibility

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We have a vet who was telling us because of the breed they get ear infections and allergies frequently. So we have a spray for their ichy spots and we take them for walks to get them out so they aren't pent up, but they still itch. So I will ask the vet at the next appointment. We have an appointment for May 10.
    SeasideNative

Comment by SeasideNative (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It could be from boredom too- we had a dog that did it so bad she chewed all the hair off her feet just because she was bored. A spray from the vet and frequent walks and playtimes helped a lot.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:44 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• What breed r your dogs?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2011