Storm Shelter?

I live on the third floor of my apartment building. There was a tornado 5miles form our house a couple weeks ago that did a lot of damage. There's a tornado watch/severe weather here until at least 12pm. I have my dog and 4 month old son to keep an eye on and am unsure where to go for shelter. My front office isn't always opened and I don't know my lower level neighbors here. I don't have our car right now either. Anyone else have this predicament?

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 10:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I live in Texas and before i move our nearest shelter was 3 blocks away at a gym. now that I have moved a bit more out into the country there are no shelters.. just get to the hallway (away from windows) should this happen again and you aren't sure where to go.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:38 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• YES. We aren't on the 3rd story, but we have a 2 story home and no basement and I HATE it. We have been here for almost 7 years, and I hate that pit in my stomach that comes every time we have a storm knowing I have my kids to protect. It SUCKS.

We don't even have any real interior closet or rooms without windows, so we go to the only room that doesn't have windows, which is our big bathroom...and I basically get everyone in the garden tub and pull the dressing screen over us, then huddle over my girls. When LP is home, he won't fit, so he braves it in the other bathroom.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:53 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If I were you, I would go to the lowest level of the building and stay in the hallway or stairwell. Keep your radio and/or tv and listen for any warnings--severe thunderstorms often contain tornadoes. So any kind of warning, move to the lowest spot you can get to. Don't stay on the third floor. The higher you are, the more danger you are in.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Ask your apartment office where the nearest storm shelter is. If they aren't helpful call your local police department..NOT 911..but their local # in the phone book and find out where it is. The third floor of an apt building is not safe. Have a plan and a prepacked bag ready to take to the shelter. In a worse case scenario go to the most interior room..like a closet or bathroom...bathrooms can be really good if they have one the heavy tubs in them. I have family that survived a tornado in their bathroom in the tub covered by a mattress.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The hallway outside has openings on both sides that cause a wind tunnel, very dangerous
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No shelters here where I live in Tx. Luckily it has all stayed North of us even though we could use the rain. A closet or bathtub and mattress are about all I can count on.
    I'd get off the 3rd floor if I were you. commend. Maybe several of you could get mattresses and get in the hallway.. that is if you have time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My sister was in a condo in an area with twisters. She went to the bath tub and put blankets and a matress over her. She also had a parking garage where there was a lower level - below ground. While not the best option in case the tornado caved in the garage at least she had a chance. Most likely she would have been okay in the garage even if it took a hit. She also went to the hall where there were no windows and it was in the center of the building. Most people go to an interior closett or interior bathroom with no windows, go into the tub, and place thick cover over them to protect from debris. We have a day light basement that will provide some minimal protection depending on how we are hit. And a crawl space that does go under the house we can get to from inside. But take your pick: black widow spiders and brown recluses or a tornado. Not a fun choice.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I know where oue local drainage pipes are ..... I have no doubt in an emergency I will crawl in with my son. They are outside in our neighborhood and I noticed we would fit very nicely and can get far into it. Okay - so now you know I am a freak about tornados. I even have plans for diving and best places to go. :(. I wish I could be ho hum and not worry.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I worry too. I dream about tornadoes sometimes. they're scary! that's why I'm trying to think what's best. sure I have tubs and closets but it's still the third floor
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Can you knock on a neighbor's door, or several, introduce yourself and ask if in an emergency you can take shelter there? They may not want a pet (I personally could not allow a pet to shelter with us because of allergies) but perhaps they will let you in. Introducing yourself before hand and being friendly with chit chat could help. I have a key I gave my neighbor. He can come anytime and let in as many other neighbors he wants to in an emergency. We are no strangers to tornados.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:16 PM on Apr. 28, 2011