I have zero stamina when i workout

i had my first born 9 months ago. then i joined gym when he was 4 or 5 months. i started with a brisk walk on the treadmill hoping to build my stamina. later started to jog too but couldnt do it for more than 3-4 mins. took it nice and slow. moved on to other machines and working out a little harder. then in the mid of March i started going to the aerobics and zumba classes thinking it's time that i moved on to even more aggressive exercise. im 25 years old, height 5ft 3inches and weight about 140 lbs. there were woman heavier and older than me but are WAY more active. it's a one-hour class and i would be drained out after 15-20 mins !! no one in my class would be as red, sweating and panting like me !!! one of the woman even said that i looked as if i was about to have a heart attack .. lol.
i gave up zumba and moved to easier classes which is yoga and pilates. now even in pilates im the only one in my class who's taking breaks in between  the work outs.. constantly !! i thought i had built my stamina when i started going to gym in oct-nov 2010 !! i dont drink or smoke. nor do i have any injury or anything. i'm quite healthy and have a healthy diet. what the hell is wrong with me then ??! :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I get very red faced when I work out. Always have. I've been asked before it I was feeling ok, I asked why, they would answer "bc you are very red". It's easy enough to say, "Oh, I always get this way, thanks for your concern, but I'm just fine."
    As far as building stamina, STAY CONSISTENT! You will need to challenge your cardiovascular system in order to build stamina. Before I began running regularly I used the cross trainer at the gym (usually next to the elliptical machines). I then would add some jogging in with that (usually at the end of my time spent on the cross trainer), until eventually I liked running more than the cross trainer.
    I've also heard, "Couch to 5K" is a great program (never tried it myself)
    One last note: You say you eat healthy, but maybe your aren't "fueling" your body properly. What is your diet like?What do you eat before and after your workouts?How many calories do you get each day? Best of luck!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Have your thyroid checked.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:12 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Zumba at home from one time fee of $50 and then hitting up the gym when you feel better. I know how you feel, it's why i work out at home. I hate the "peanut gallery" comments
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:13 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• you moved up too quickly.

Go back to walking on the treadmill & up the speed just a TAD every week or every other week, until you can manage a slight jog for a minute, then back to walking. You want to get yourself to a point where you can manage jogging for one minute, then walking for a few minutes. You can keep challenging yourself, like the next week you can try & jog for two minutes instead of one minute. Keep slowly progressing & you will soon be very proud of yourself when you notice you built up stamina. it takes time to build stamina & you have to do it at a slow & steady pace. if you do too much at the beginning, it can really put a damper on your progress. Get back on the treadmill & walk. Once you can incorporate some jogging into your walking routine, then maybe you can start the aerobics class. Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• you can't build much stamina by just walking, you're going to have to get your heart rate up more. That's why i suggested jogging here & there during your walking routine & you need to do this at least 3 days a week.

"i had my first born 9 months ago. then i joined gym when he was 4 or 5 months"

This would mean you joined the gym around January, not October....

If you're not consistent enough, you won't build stamina. Consistency is the key element in building stamina.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• samuari: i joined in late oct, or beginning of November. he was 4 months then. sorry for the mix-up. anyways that not imp. how old was he when i joined gym. i remember i joined in Nov, because my gym bill started that month. but thanks for the advice though, helps alot :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• IM me if you need to, i used to have ZERO stamina & i have come a long way. It does take time...so hang in there!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Sometimes it takes time to build the stamina. Interval training is a great way to do it and can be fun. It can be done when cycling, walking, running, elliptical too. Just short bursts of speed - all out effort then a period of recovery. Maybe you do 15 seconds of all out w/ 60 second recovery and build from there. Getting you heart rate to increase then lower truly helps strengthen your heart and increases your stamina
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 3:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011