Husband and i are not agreeing on the Preschool issue.

I am wanting to send our almost three year old to a local dayschool/preschool for half days. from 8-12. She is slightly behind on her speech and i just feel that being around other kids her age may help her in more ways than one. She is kept during the day by my MIL along with her two younger siblings. I plan to take her in the morngin and pick her up when i go to lunch and take her home. This little school has a cirricumum that they do based on Mother Goose time and varies from arts to sciences etc. And i just feel she would enjoy and benefit from it. But husband thinks i am trying to rush her and need to let her ba a kid. She is our first born and has him wrapped around her finger. Any thoughts.

jaceyrayesmom

Asked by jaceyrayesmom at 11:09 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• give it another year.. that might be too soon. look into play groups or something her age for just you two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Tell him this is part of being a kid.

Answer by older at 11:11 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My kids loved preschool! Each started at 3 and I knew they were ready because they'd always gravitate towards other kids on the playground, at a restaurant, etc. She will be a kid - it's not like she'll be sitting in a college lecture hall and will be quizzed on the material.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Why not sign her up on a trail basis? The half day program is perfect for kids her age. I taught preschool and I can tell you that the time with other kids is helpful. If she can't go to preschool she should be doing things like preschool story hour at the library and play dates to interact with other kids her own age. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:15 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I personally think 3 is too young. I never sent my boys to preschool because we couldn't afford it and made to much to qualify for anything. I did send my grandkids at 4 to preschool. It was a big benefit for both of them. I'm with your husband here.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Wait! She will be fine.

My twins were 5 when they started school.

Don't fall for the crap that kids need to go to school ASP, not true, the longer the kids are at home the better .
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My nephew was really behind on speech and had developed a stutter. Three weeks after I started watching him during the day, his stutter was gone. A month and a half later, he was really starting to take off on his speech. I think just hanging out with my daughter who is a month older than he is really helped him. Maybe a little extra playtime with other kids her age is just what she needs. :) If he doesn't agree with preschool just yet, maybe you could find other moms in your area with kids her age to do playdates with. GL! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:17 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• you are not rushing anything, you just want to give her a chance to socialize with other kids and learn a thing or two. 3 is a great age to start taking your kids to preschool half days. it would only be a few hours, not all day. i say if you can afford it, go for it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I think it would only benefit her. My Son started at 3 (two days a week) and LOVES it! I really do see an improvement in speech, behavior and overall independence. He knows colors, numbers, shapes, etc. I am sending him again next year too then kindergaten the year after. Try it & I bet she will love it! It takes about 2 weeks for them to get comfortable being seperated but now my Son runs in & doesn't look back.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:19 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I started mine into daycare at 10 weeks. Then at 3 years, I moved her to a daycare that provided 1/2 day pre-k everyday.

She has learned not only social interactions of people other than family, but she has learned how to learn in a more formal environment.

While I could have taught her all that she knows, it is good to have a different teacher so that she learns how to learn from different people with a different teaching style.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011