Sarcastic and Rude?

LOL my friend just told me that what I said was sarcastic and rude. She was telling me that she disagrees with me about a 'parenting point'..... I said to her (in response to her rant about what she thinks and thinks I should think) , "well, that's just fine, fabulous and wonderful, but I happen to think otherwise".

She got really mad at me and said that the "Fine, fabulous and wonderful" part of my sentence was rude. I started laughing and told her to call me back when she's in a better mood.

I didn't mean it rude or sarcastic - but maybe it was sarcastic a little (considering she was telling me that *I should* agree and go along with her way of thinking).

Still - it's a little annoying when someone knit-picks at certain words in a sentence then uses them to justify getting mad at you. (I could see it if I had said "fine, fabulous and wonder *you stupid, college-educated, idiot*" - THEN she'd have some words she could wad up and throw back at me - but I don't talk to people like that)

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:16 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

• If you had said that to me..I'd have hung up. It is very sarcastic. You could have made your point without being rude. A simple "I don't happen to agree with you" would have sufficed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I bet she's upset mainly because you don't agree with her...which probably hurts her big ego. It might make her feel like she is wrong & she doesn't want to be wrong. I don't think what you said was rude at all. She sounds very immature...maybe she is PMS-ing....

I think what you said was the right thing to say honestly....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Same here. I would have hung up on you.

Answer by gemgem at 11:21 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would have hung up on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• i am a sarcastic person though...and so are most of my friends. So, what you said doesn't sound rude to me & i wouldn't take offense if someone said that to me....I'd probably laugh & say "OK, to each their own". She has a big stick up her butt.....again...i don't think it was rude of you. I think it was WAY more rude of her to try & tell you how you should think. She sounds controlling & since she couldn't control your way of thought....it pissed her off more...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• people are so anal these days...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'm sarcastic with my friends all the time, and they are sarcastic with me. Personally, I see nothing wrong with what you said, but then again, I'm reading it and not angry with you, LOL. When I'm not in the best of moods, sarcasm tends to put me further into said bad mood.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Whoa Whoa Whoa there girls -- I know I didn't go into detail about WHAT she had just said to me - but looks like I should have. I told you she was disagreeing with me about HOW SHE THINKS I should deal with my own child - and her response (to a situation that I never even asked HER OPINION on, advice about, or even knew that she knew) was call me up and proceed to tell me that she thinks *I need to travel 8 hours, and tell off my son's girlfriend face to face - because SHE found out that the GF tried to talk my son out of going to the Air Force. She said that if it was HER, that she would go throw that girl out of her son's house and that if I was a good mom I would do exactly that! (my son has been living with this girl for over a year, is engaged to marry her, and I happen to believe that (while yes, he should go) it's HIS AND HIS GF's decision - not mine)
    You still think *I was the one that should have been hung up on?
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Wow, I think you did an awesome job of restraining yourself, LOL. I would have had a lot more not-so-nice words to tell this "friend."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Details help. Now that you've added them it does change the scenario. The fact that she is talking about a grown son is the first problem. It isn't even remotely her business. Telling you you are a bad Mom WHOA... THAT is going to get a lot more rude response from me than what you said. Knowing the full situatioon I think you controlled yourself admirably well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:13 PM on Apr. 28, 2011