2 year old squinting. Farsighted???

I've noticed for the last ten days or so that my toddler has recently been squinting. While watching Sprout this morning he even turned his head to the side as to focus on what he was seeing. My husband doesn't think there is anything to be concerned about but I always trust my intuition. Have any of you dealth w/ toddler farsightedness? Are our toddlers farsighted anyway till their eyes mature by 8 years old? Thanks!

PatricksMama07

Asked by PatricksMama07 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• All children are farsighted to a point, which is natural. Normally, once they reach a certain age, its no longer "normal" to be farsighted. Your child might be TOO farsighted. I would see about setting up an appt to see Optometrist. They can answer any concerns you may have.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my 2 year old squints all the time but she's only doing it to be silly. she always stands super close to the television and has since she was old enough to walk, so i am constantly telling her to back up. however the squinting thing (in her case) is nothing but silliness.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My niece started squinting around this age. However, hers wasn't from farsightedness or being silly. She actually had a cataract so big the first good doctor my sister brought her to saw it from across the room. After two years of doctor's visits that didn't notice and bumping into everything all the time, my sister brought her to a different doctor and he saw it the second he walked into the room. He was disgusted that the other doc hadn't seen it. She had an operation to remove it and sees just fine now. I hope everything is okay with your son :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• When my oldest was 2 I thought the same thing. He would squint and I sometimes noticed a lazy or cross eye thing going on. I took him to an eye doctor and of course his eyes weren't lazy or crossed or squinty once while we were there! The doctor just told me to watch for it to get worse and to work on activities that involved hand/eye coordination, like playing catch.
    He is 5 now and had his eyes checked at his pedi just yesterday and he did just fine and has grown out of the squinting/crossing quite some time ago. :)
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:28 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• it wouldn't hurt to take him in for an eye exam.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:13 PM on May. 3, 2011

• Its probably nothing, but it wouldnt hurt to have it checked out.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:21 PM on May. 5, 2011

• I'd take her to the eye doctor and they'll be able to say for sure if it's just silliness or if there is a need for glasses. GL.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:50 PM on May. 7, 2011

• you can take him to the eye doctor and have them look at him and give him an exam
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:55 AM on May. 9, 2011

• Can't hurt to have it checked
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 3:04 PM on May. 10, 2011

• I would take her in just to be sure. It doesn't hurt anything!
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 10:15 PM on May. 15, 2011