Broken Clavicle Bone (from a gun shot)

My son was in a hunting accident and shot on Tues. We spent alot of time at the ER and thankfully he was not seriously injured (as in dead). If the bullet had been a 1/4 inch more to the left I would not be asking a question about a clavicle bone. He was released and we took him to the doctor this morning and he has a cracked shoulder blade and broken clavicle. They are not going to do surgery on him, and said he can be in a sling for 8-12 weeks until it heals. Is this normal>? Or should I get a second opinion.

Asked by gemgem at 11:20 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• If the bones are not misaligned there is no reason to do surgery. They will heal. Make sure he is intaking plenty of Calcium and Vit D.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• OMG, how did that happen?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I know this is a little different, but my son broke his clavicle bone being born (he got stuck) and they didn't do surgery either. He wore a baby sling too, for about 6-8 weeks. In that sense, I guess it is normal. I too am glad this question is only about a broken clavicle bone and not something more serious.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• HI dear hubbs is an orthotist, someone who makes brace etc,, pretty normal for no surgery,, I am so thankful this is all that happened, I bet you were scared to death!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You know.. Just from hard work and life.. I broke my Collar bone. I think my Preemie grandson was having a little bit of.. a tantrum. And my collar bone broke! I went in.. They didn't believe me! They did Nothing at all for me!! I also slipped on ice at a Aldi parking lot and got separated sternum out of that! Nothing was done.. Just live with it. And say, yes that's what you have! So I did! Finally after so much problems.. I went in in 2010 & Got Triple Negative Breast Cancer! Now I hurt and ache from head to toe! I know my kids scared me.. My DD slipped on ice on the playground when she was 7! She wnt Blind and eventually recovered!! Same DD broke her back at AGE:22 & HAD THE worst HEAD LACAERATION either HOSPITAL EVER SAW.. Our KIDS worry & SCARE US! She NOW SAYS I AGED HER SEEING MY THIS WAY FROM Cancer! OH TO SEE OUR LOVED OINES HURT & IN PAIN. sad & HARD! I HOPE YOUR SON WILL HEAL WELL. Sending MY Care!! Sorry for caps!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 11:46 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yikes! I'm glad he's ok. I've heard of this treatment for broken clavicle so you can rest easy.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• The clavicle can't be casted, so putting the arm of the affected side into a sling is about all they can do.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks.
    Oh he was stupid and went out into the woods with his stupid friends to hunt. Believe me he gets the dumbest person in the world award. He stepped in front of his friend when his friend fired the gun and got shot in the shoulder. It was a 22 and looks like he got a huge shot on his shoulder. It traveled in that way and hit the shoulder blade and rear part of the clavicle.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was. Honestly I just wanted to slap him upside the head when I saw he was ok.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I kinda figured that but he and my mom are insisting they should do more. I told my mom they really cant fix stupid apparently.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011