Ever had a snobby sales lady make you this mad?

I went into a shop and got approached by this saleslady - wearing her ankle cropped pants, 1990's sling-backs and her Linda Evans hair cut. She was just overbearing and snotty - and I mean SNOT-TY.

She looked and talked down to me SOOO much that I finally had enough and instead of saying something to HER or the shop owner - I asked another salesgirl if they pay commission at the shop (like I might be interested in a job there). When she said "yes" I handed her a very expensive shirt and said - "well, since *SHE is so rude, I think I'll give you the commission on this one"
And bought a shirt for 3times what I would normally have paid for a silk blouse.

I don't regret buying the shirt - it's nice and will qualify as one of my "quality pieces" to add to my wardrobe. But I do regret letting her snotty, holier than thou attitude push me like that to show her up. That just isn't me - and I don't know WHY I gave her that kind of power. I'm not taking it back, and I'm not shopping there ever again because of her. But I still feel a little ashamed of myself for stooping to her level.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Shopping

• Yeah, happens to me often. I'm a crafter and often get looked down on when I go to buy supplies, as if I can't afford to buy the nicer stuff. So I generally buy online.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:27 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• What's funny to me is that they're the one who is supposed to be serving YOU. Honestly, I like what you did. And I think you should also take it to higher management. Who knows how many other people she's made feel like that?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 11:30 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• yes... i know what you are talking about... i cant stand people like that... i generally just walk away and dont go back to the store but every now and then i think we have to go down to thier level just to make them feel bad back...if they have feelings at all that is
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You know, i dont think you should feel badly about how you responded. Far too many people in this world exude attitude and rudenss and expect everyone else to just deal with it. It's perfectly natural to get upset about it sometimes. At least you didnt resort to violence. Ive seen situations like that escalate into something really terrible.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes at REI. Very condescending. I finally looked her in the eyes, took the boots off, placed them back in the box and walked out without saying a.word. This woman argued with everything I asked or said, told me I needed to bring my own wools socks when trying on hiking boots, commented that I did not know how to properly lace etc..... Career mismatch. Don't care how much you know about a topic, if you're dealing with the public develop some tact! I was on a tight schedule that day, but had I had a spare moment, I would have spoken with the manager. I would not have purchased shoes from this woman if she were the only shoe sale's woman on Earth.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have definitely been in the situation, and wanted to come back a la Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman with boxes and bags and do the whole:

You work on commission, right? Big mistake. Big. HUGE.

(But I don't want to be a call girl, high priced or otherwise :-) )
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:37 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes, I do get that from time to time. Especially at The Buckle... not sure why. Anyway, lately I've been wearing my iPod. I only talk when I WANT to talk. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:13 PM on May. 1, 2011