7 yr old wants to ride bike to school....

My instinct is to say no... however because he is my oldest, I feel like I tend to be overprotective. Like my almost 3 yr old is allowed to play in our back yard (fenced inner part, then there a huge wall of dense bushes that fence in the outer part), while my oldest wasn't allowed to play outside alone till he was 5.

We live less then a mile from the school. We live in a tiny town, around 1,000 people. He knows how to get to the school (we have walked there many times to play, and as part of his scouts he had to take a map of the town and navigate around to different places, so right now I know that I could drop him off in any part of the town and he would be able to get home).....

He is responsible, and I know that he could make it there. I know that he would follow the rules that we have taught him about bike saftey.... but.... IDK... I just keep thinking about the "what ifs?". I trust him... but I don't trust people in general. The only place where he would have to cross the main street, there is a crossing guard. Uhg.... He really wants to ride his bike with the other kids around us....

What do you think? Am I being overprotective? Should I let him go? If I let him go should I follow him at a distance to make sure he is okay?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 11:29 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am not sure I would do it. I just started letting my dd walk to school and it is about seven houses down and turn the corner and there is the school.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:31 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We are a mile and half from My DS school and I would not let him ride alone-granted he is not quite seven and has some delays... I wouldn't ride with him... Maybe even organize a day were I rode with him and a few of the other neighborhood kids. I am with you on the what ifs. Now if there are several kids riding together including an few older kids I know I might consider it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:32 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• personally, i would wait just a little bit longer. like another year. and then i would do babysteps, like following him until the school is in sight, then standing back and watching til he gets there, for the first couple of weeks until i let him go alone. if your gut is telling you to hold off, then follow it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• oh and i agree if he would be riding in a big group, you wouldn't have to babystep it. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would let him go and follow.

Answer by older at 11:35 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If you can trust him and he is riding home with other kids as well he should be pretty safe...especially if its that small of a town. I let my boy ride when he was 7. On the first few days, I parked down the street from the school and watched him from a distance to make sure he was stopping at stop sigs and doing what he was supposed to. Mine usually gets home at the same exact time everyday and if I notice he is more than 5 min late, I usually get into my car and go look for him. You are not being overproctective...
    JLang

Answer by JLang at 11:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldnt. The world isnt safe anymore. Small town or not.

Answer by gemgem at 11:36 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I live 5min walking distance from my 7yr olds school and i would never let him walk or ride his bike him alone. i personally feel 7yrs old is too young. i walk to my sons school and pick him up everyday. I think i may let him walk there by himself when he is in 5th grade, adleast 11yrs old, but i don't even know about then. it is the kidnappers i am scared about
    fun3oo

Answer by fun3oo at 11:42 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• From what you have said.... I would. You are close, he knows how to be safe, AND he will be in a group, that's that pushes it into the green light zone IMO.
    If you want to follow or watch him for awhile until you are more comfortable go right ahead
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would wait alittle longer myself, maybe next school year, and over the summer he can "practice" , time the trip, lock his bike up (if necessary) and of course talk about all the things to be watchful for or if he needs help what to do...this may help you as well. ;) I think it's great other kids would be with him....I wouldn't let him go himself, not until he was older. Small town or not, there's still freaks out there! Good luck....it's tough to let go sometimes! LOL

luvmykidz037

Answer by luvmykidz037 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011