Do you wear contacts? Is it hard to put them in?

Well I need glasses, and would like to get contacts, but I kind of have a phobia of putting them in my eyes,LOL! Do they hurt, is it hard to learn how to put them in? Should I ask for a specific brand? Any help would be great!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 11:41 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Health

• I've been wearing contacts for 25 years, and I used to work for an optometrist where one of my jobs was teaching people how to put in their contacts. It's something that they should teach you when you go to the eye dr to get them. Different brands work for different people, but they should give you a trial pair to wear for 1-2 weeks and then have you come back. At that point, they will ask not only about your vision, but the comfort of the contacts as well. If they aren't comfortable, you should be able to try another pair of a different brand. It took me a little while to put them in at first, but in no time at all I was doing it without a mirror in a couple seconds. It doesn't hurt at all!

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've been wearing contacts since I was in the 9th grade. And I'm old, so that's been a long time. The way I was taught to put them in was to raise your top lid, lower your bottom lid & stare up at the ceiling. Then insert the contact on the white part of your eye. Roll your eye around (lids still raised) until the contact is on your eye. Then you do the hokey pokey & you turn yourself around. Tada!
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 11:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've been wearing them for nearly 30 years. They've really improved.

It can be difficult at first, but you get accustomed to them. Your eye doc can recommend the best lenses for you. There are some that are recommended for astigmatism, some that are best when you tend to have dry eyes, and even bifocal contact lenses if you need them! I'm currently using Coopervision; I have used practically every brand out there. The changes happen just as my needs change... such as going to bifocals in the past year.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've been wearing contacts every day since I was in middle school. If I could handle it at that age, I'm sure an adult would do just fine. It does take some getting used to. At first I had a hard time getting them to stick to my eye instead of my finger- a little squirt of saline into the side that will touch your eye before you put it in will help with that. Once you get them in, you won't even feel them. The only time it hurts is if you get an eyelash or hair on them, but just take it out and clean it. Your doctor will have you practice with them and will give you a trial pair. So I'd just go from there. I use the Bauch and Lomb brand- they are soft lenses and very thin. I've tried other brands, but this is my favorite.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:49 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• my husband just started wearing them last year.. at first it would take him 5-10 minutes to put one in.. after a while of doing it he got used to it so it got easier and now he can put them in without any issues.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Your doctor will discuss brands with you. It's difficult to put them in at first but you get used to them.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:43 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I've been wearing contacts for over 30 years. They were so easy for me; I adjusted to them immediately.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I used to wear glasses and i wore contacts too. No they aren't hard to put in to your eyes, and they don't hurt. You can't even feel them once you get them in.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 2:21 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Nope but I've had them for nearly 20 years. My biggest problem is finding contacts that don't irritate my eyes - usually it's the expensive ones that make my eyes all red and painful and the cheap ones that don't. Very weird i know. lol
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Very easy actually. My way is lowering my bottom eyelid and placing it on the white part. As soon as you blink it floats up! Much easier than prying both eyelids open and sticking it in the middle because sometimes you blink before you put the contact in and it falls to the sink.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 4:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011