How long would you make a 4.5 year old stay in room for punishment

My son dumped out a full bottle of bath soap, partially my fault because I left it out. I asked him what should his punishment be because he does know better. He said he should stay in his room all day. I leave for work at 3 but I think thats still too long for him to be in there.

sandbuster

Asked by sandbuster at 11:55 AM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• On second thought, he is over 4...even my almost 4 year old knows not to do that. I would say that you find the most horrible thing that he hates to do and make him do that. For my DD that would be washing windows. I don't know that I woudl do a time out. I would rather make her do an activity that she doesn't like as a punishment. It will stick with her longer.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• As punishment, I would make him help clean up the mess.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't agree with it being your fault. At that age he is old enough to leave Mommys stuff alone.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 12:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I'd give him a normal time out, one minute per year of age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• 5 minutes....or I would take his favorite thing away for a day...whatever it is. (it has to be something he is really attached to playing with)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• all day seems a bit much I agree with everyday momma, make him help you clean it up, if not 5 minutes in time out!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:57 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• cleaning up the mess is a good idea!
    samurai_chica

• I discovered it after he was at preschool and it is gone, down the drain, I found the empty bottle. Sorry for not being clearier.
    sandbuster

Comment by sandbuster (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• 4 minutes. although I know a lady that I am not sure how old the kids were when she started making them stay in their rooms all day for punishment, but I know her dd was 5 and done something (don't remember what), but she had to stay in her room allday long. Her son was 7 and was not doing good in school so he made him stay in his room for 2 months straight no lie. The only time they come out is for the bathroom which she tells them when they can go. They eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in their rooms when they are in punishment. They don't get no snacks or no other drinks only what is served with dinner. I think that is crazy. She didn't do no other disipline like spankings, or sit in corner or timeouts, if they made a mess she didn't make them clean it. The only punishment she does is send them to their rooms all day long.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Its 1 min per year, so 4 minutes.

Answer by gemgem at 12:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2011