help with breast feeding

MommyJenn118

Asked by MommyJenn118 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What is the question?
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Call your local LLL.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Breastfeeding is a lot of work. I have been at it for the last 11.5 weeks, but is well worth the effort. My son didn't want to latch on. when the doctor threatened to hospitalise him at 5 days old I decided it was time to take action. He wasn't getting enough fluids. I pumped to get enough in him before our dr. appt. For a day or two I pumped and gave him milk via bottle exclusively. Then I discovered breast shields (availble at target-medula brand). It took him a couple tries, but he started taking the breast with the shield on. it really worked well, but slowed down my milk flow, so sometimes he would eat for hours and I still pumped to keep up my supply,I have a freezer full. After two months, (I tried him without the sheild almost every time he ate) he finally got the hang of it and now we are completely shield free, and it is much easier and I stopped pumping. I hope this helps.
    hbbuck

Answer by hbbuck at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• La Leche legue (LLL) is also available to help online.
    hbbuck

Answer by hbbuck at 8:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008