I got a new door for my house

its 4 inches to long ans 2 inches to wide lol my dh is saying we should just cut it down can you do that? it was free so its either that or i have to buy a new one and i dont want to buy one.

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 12:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Home & Garden

• if your uncle builds houses I have him come over and cut it down and install it so you know it's set properly for the least amount of drafts.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• why not? just make sure you get it exactly right!!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It can certainly be done but it take more than just taking those two measurements. Your have to measure all four sides because they are no always exact. Doors can be tricky or really easy but it sounds like your Uncle should be able to do it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• im asking my uncle to do it he builds houses so i know hes good with measurements lol i just didnt know if you could its a pretty door also im happy :)

whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, you can't "just cut a door down". Different doors are made of different materials. If it's a solid wood door, it would work, but anything else won't work at all - you'd be better off cutting the doorway bigger and putting in a new frame.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the door.. since it was free I say give it a go. What's the worst thing that could happen after all?
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Only if it's wood. Aluminum or fiberglass can't be cut down.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Is this just the door were talking about or did the frame come with it? if it's just the door itself, yes you can have it cut down to size as long as its a wood base material. Two inches is a lot, and since the door handle seems to already in place, he will need to cut the two inches off the hinge side and that may take the symmetry off. Be prepared for that if its a decorative or ornate door.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 7:24 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• sure, just make sure you measure twice before you cut
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You can totally do that. Just watch where you cut it so you door knob is not weird on the door when you go to grab it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 8:28 PM on Apr. 28, 2011