Has anyone been a Christian but left their beliefs?

This is not a judgement or preaching session, or anything of the sort. I would just like to know if any of you have done this and the reasoning behind it.

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• reunited and he was down here visiting on weekend and we were sitting in an awesome church service and at the end there was an altar call.. I felt this warm feeling all over my body and knew that I had to set things right with God. I knew in my heart and from my upbringing that I needed Him. So as I walked down to the altar,, in tears and broken for my sins and needing God's grace.. HE met me there and I haven't been the same since. Yes it's been hard and it's not easy living for God but it is well worth it. My husband and I now live here in a nice home.. he was blessed with job that he loves doing (farming) and we actively go to church and praise Jesus together. It's the most fulfilling thing in the world. So yes at a point in my life I did fall away but I am back and back for good!!!
    ashlee03

Answer by ashlee03 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• Yes. I was brought up in a Christian houshold and went to church 2-3 times a week if not more. I was all about it as a kid but as I got older -not so much. As a teen ( 17) I took a mythology class much to my parents horror and another class that touched on a few major religions/beliefs and I figured out that other people bilieved different things than us- let's just say, that was about the end of believeing for me. Not sure if you wanted stories from people who left it as adults or not- but anyhow there it is
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well not exactly, I was raised Christian, but whether or not I believed is a different matter. I am an Atheist. The whole idea of a higher power is not logical in my opinion nor is it possible, thus I do not believe in any Gods.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes I was christian and was in training to be a minister. I read the bible cover to cover and after that I could not follow christianity another step.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I did and I studied and practiced other religions for awhile. I just was questioning my faith I guess. I ended up back in the church though.

Answer by gemgem at 12:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Born and raised one. Our beliefs were our lives, it just was a part of us.

Left it in 2007 at the age of 34 when I realized I just didnt believe anymore after stepping out of the pretty box and seeing a bigger picture in the whole scheme of spirituality.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I was raised Christian, but when I was 9, I discovered that there were other religions out there. When I did, everything clicked for me and I realized what it was that had felt "off" for me my entire life, and why I felt "different." At that age, I realized that I wasn't really a Christian, but for some time I pretended to be for my family.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wholeheartedly believed everything my parents and teachers and the nuns and priests told me...and ended up HATING myself. (And turning to drugs.)

It wasn't until I left the repression and oppression of Christianity behind and "came home" to the Natural and unconditional Love of the Goddess did I find where I was supposed to be.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I believed for the majority of my life, but always questioned what made no sense to me. After not getting answers that I sought from preachers, pastors and bible studies, never feeling 'the presence of god' like everyone else a round me and doing much research in ancient cultures and beliefs as well as listening to what my own heart was telling me, I admitted to myself I just didn't and couldn't believe there was a god. During my time as a Christian, I felt miserable, guilt-ridden, depressed, unfulfilled and unhappy. As an Atheist, I am the total opposite. God is not necessary to live a decent, loving, kind and fulfilled life.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:05 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I never left god just organized church
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011