Do you think dogs can be mentally retarded?

I'm serious... I've had some thoughts about my mother in laws dog. He's really dumb. I'm not kidding! I was a pet care expert at PetSmart and a dog trainer at Petco and I cannot teach this dog anything. Today I heated up some potatoes til they were piping hot and they fell on the floor (don't ask) and that dog proceeded to eat them! They burnt him so bad that he yelped but he kept eating them while yelping in pain. He does stuff like that all the time. I'm just wondering if maybe animals can be mentally retarded too. And I do NOT want any comments like "Oh I'm SO offended you said mentally retarded.". If this bugs you then scoot off to the next question please!! Thank you! =)

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 7:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• *snorts* The title made me crack up so hard.

Yes, I think some dogs are capable of having brain damage :oD I think it's hilarious when dogs try to walk through screen doors more than once. They know they can't do it the first time...so why would they think it'll magically open for them the second time? xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I'm sure they can.
    Learning problems can be caused by so many things: genetics, poor maternal nutrition before birth, poor nutrition as a puppy (or child), lack of oxygen at some point (during birth or an accident later). As you can see, none of these are exclusive to people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• His head is MONSTROUSLY huge. I think it got squeezed when he was born and it made him stupid. LOL
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• lol my dog his name was X well I would call him ...cant get right...from the movie Life ...lol that was the dumbest boxer I ever had lol but I still loved and babied him lol

Anonymous

• LMFAO that is so fucken hilarious!! how could he continue to eat it and just yelp in pain?? ROFL!! wow I never even thought of the possibility that dogs could be mentally retarded.. you proved it LOL
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 7:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Yes they can I work for a vet who has a brain damaged cat. She was hit by a car as a kitten and they didn't think she would live but she did. She has trouble balancing and jumping onto things. I can only assume they can be born that way to...hmmm...I think I'll ask tomorrow, of course she's gonna laugh her a$$ off at me but it will be worth knowing darn it!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• long story short-puppy strangled himself trying to get out of fence,hubby did mouth-to-nose for like 20 min.,pup came back to life-seriously stupid! lol! so yes,i think it's a possibility!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 7:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• oOo why did the potatoes drop on the floor? LOL jk
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 7:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Why do you think they call it "Inbreading"? Just like humans the same happens to dogs
    Reggie2

Answer by Reggie2 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If it has a brain it can be retarded. Lack of oxygen at birth, an accident, trauma. The same things that cause humans to be. Don't discout the possibility of genetic inbreeding too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2008