Do you think it is right to juge a person for their religion/ Why? or why not?

For example I am Lutheran and Wicca. It has worked for me for many years. It is what I want to put my energy in. Both sides run in my family roots as well, so it is like a family history for me. I am the only one in my family that has both for a beliefe.

A522R

Asked by A522R at 12:34 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, of course not. But yet most people do. If one looks at a "Christian" and "Pagan" comparison, they're not so different. Most of the Christian ideology is rooted in Paganism: they won't own up to it, but it's there...so, in essence, for someone to tell me (a practicing Wiccan) that my religion is wrong and evil is kind of being a hypocrite. But at the end of the day, who cares. What one believes in should not be the concern of someone else. An' it harm none do as ye will, do unto others, etc...it all means the same.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 12:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• nope-- not on thier beliefs

on their actions or attitude though? that's different
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, one's path shouldn't be something they are judged for. Faith is such a personal issue that each of us has to be free to follow our paths without fear of judgment.

The only time I could ever see myself questioning anyone is if they are using their faith to negatively effect other people, to cause harm to others or to oppress others, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like to change some things about my answer. Thing is I started questioning if you could judge me just based on the fact that I'm an Orthodox Jew and well, you can. My religion has pretty much shaped who I am now and how I act.
    Problem is, though, that the vast majority of people are too ignorant about another person's religion to give a proper judgment. Sadly, more often than not, people tend to nitpick at what they can distort into a negative and then judge a person based on that, not in the true, real religion and it's ideas.
    So I say that as long as we're not informed enough about the actual religion, we cannot judge neither the religion or the people who follow it.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Those who are shallow and have a "holier-than-God" attitude judge others based on their religious beliefs. They are the ones the cannot grasp or just ignore the very simple fact that everyone has to find their own path. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, not on their beliefs really, but on attitude and actions, yes
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Well, of course we shouldn't judge people by their religion. And as much as possible, we should try to judge people favorably.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No, not on religion. Those who are confident have respect for others beliefs. :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I don't think it's right to judge people, period.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have mixed feelings. At face value my answer is NO, no one should ever be judged simply because of their religion! BUT, I'll be honest, if I met someone who was a member of a "religion" like West Borough Baptist, I can tell you right now I would be more than judging! Would I ever judge someone for being Baptist? Nope... But knowing THIS branches beliefs and practices, I would most definitely have to assume that anyone willing to follow those teachings is just as twisted and horrid as the teachings themselves. That said, the VAST MAJORITY of religions don't teach hate or anger the way this group does, and everyone is entitled to their beliefs, even if I don't agree with them. But as with every other part of life, this question isn't quite as black and white as it seems.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011