Should I pick up my baby if he is happily awake in his crib after a short nap?

I'm not sure if I should leave my 2 month old in his crib if he is happily awake after a short nap or if I should pick him up. What are the chances he'll fall back to sleep?

allisoncane

Asked by allisoncane at 7:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would pick my baby up even after a short nap and cuddle him. I think he's more likely to fall asleep in the warmth and safety of him mama's arms.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 7:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i couldnt leave my daughter in the crib. Never did, never will. When i lay her down for a nap i always count the minutes on when she will finally wake up so i can hug and squeeze her and ask her "will you give mommy a kiss?" and then will open her arms (telling me to pick her up) and then she makes the cutest mouth in the world and gives me kisses... well she is already 17months old though. But when she was tiny baby the time waiting for her waking up to give her big hugs was even worse. hehe. I just cant resist. could cuddle that little girl 24/7 :D

nap time sucks!!! lol
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I always let them stay in their cribs and didn't pick them up. If they are happy and content being in there by themselves why move them? Sometimes they would go back to sleep and other times, afterawhile, they would start to get fussy because they didn't want to be alone anymore so I would go in and get them.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well try giveing him a bottle of water he might go back to sleep
    Everettsmom163

Answer by Everettsmom163 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Don't give him water...you never give a two month old water. They get enough water via breastmilk or formula. If your baby is contently staying in the crib, there is no reason to pick him or her up, but you might want to utilize this quite alert time to get some face time in. You could talk, or sing or let them look or bat at a toy. My son (11 weeks) loves to look at his moble...I have to be there to turn it for him, but he smiles a lot when I do. you can also utilize this time with him or her in your arms, or use those armes to do a load of laundry. I will say that babies eventually have to learn to put themselves back to sleep, so sometimes it might be benificial to see if yours will go back to sleep.
    hbbuck

Answer by hbbuck at 8:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• let them stay in the crib, I made the mistake of holding too much and now he wakes and cries and im having a horrible time trying to get him to sleep in the crib, the second i put him down for a nap he wakes....its hard to get anything done when you have to hold them the whole nap time..
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Let him stay in the crib! If he's happy, why bother him? If it ain't broke, don't fix it! lol
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son is almost a year old now and I usually let him stay in his crib for a little bit if he's happy. Once he starts to fuss I'll go get him, but I think it's good for him to spend some time playing by himself, and his crib is a great safe place to let him do that.
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008