Would you let your just turned 8 year old son be in the delivery room?

My son asked me if he could, I feel like he may be too young and be frightened - PLUS i just don't feel right about him seeing that much of a lady lol

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 12:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• no way. i dont think any 8 year old would be able to handle that whole situation. most husbands cant!!
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If he asked me too, I would let him. If it gets too intense, he could go to the waiting room. If he really wants to be in there with you, have him stand near your head.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No. Even if he expressed an interest in it, I would say, nope sorry. I would tell him he can come in right after and hold the new baby...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I might depending on his maturity if he stayed at my shoulders and IF his presence would be a comfort and not an added stress for me.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I personally wouldn't, but that's me. I think he could stay in there perhaps before you start pushing but if he sees you in alot of pain it might really scare him.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would let him come in and out to see you during delivery and when they baby is actually coming out he can wait in the waiting room. I would only have him in when you are covered and laboring..when it gets intense he needs to be in the waiting room with other family. I would let him come in as soon as baby is born without any extra family members though.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It's a personal choice really. Personally I wouldn't want a child at ANY age in the delivery room with me lol. It's gross and nasty lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:44 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Nope. I wouldn't want my kids first time meeting their sibling be after watching mom in pain. Also, I would have a hard time not being their mom (discipline, keeping them entertained, making sure their needs are met) and would have a hard time focusing on the labor and birth.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I wouldn't have my son with me while I delivered, no. While I was in labor my DH, son, and a few others were in the room but when I got ready to deliver, I had everyone but my DH and mom go to the waiting room.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Yes. There is absolutely NO reason (other than a child being mentally challenged, and incapable of understanding what is happening) for a child, male or female not to witness birth.

I will absolutely NEVER understand why our society is so completely warped that a son seeing his mother (or anyone, really) nude would be deemed inappropriate. Nudity and sexuality are not mutually exclusive. What BETTER time for a male child to see a woman naked than while she is birthing? Would that not put reproductive organs in perspective?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011