How do I break my 8 month old god son from wanting to be held 24/7?

I've been watching my 8 month old Godson for a couple weeks now, I have two kids of my own, and I never had this problem. If I set him down to play with his toys, he freaks out. If I put him down for his nap, he freaks out, he doesn't know how to sit up yet, and frankly wants nothing to do with it, because he prefers being held all day long. Like I said I've never run acrossed this before, and my son and daughter are feeling really bad that I 'spend all my time' with the baby. Someone please help me

Thanks for the help!  I'll make sure to invest in some earplugs lol it's going to be a long week ;-)

Michelle H.

Asked by Michelle H. at 12:46 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He probably doesnt want to sit up because he doesnt have to. If he doesnt need anything, just set him down. Let him fuss for a few
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Let him cry it out a few times. If he starts crying the minute you set him down you gotta let him cry it out for a few minutes, don't hold him instantly. That's why he cries because he knows you will hold him the minute he does. It sounds cruel but sometimes that's what you gotta do in order to break him of the habit of being held all the time. IT worked for my dd. I held her ALOT after she was born but as she got a little older it became difficult to put her down for anything. Just a few weeks ago I just set her in her crib and let her cry it out for a while. It was hard at first but eventually she understood that I can't hold her all the time and now she only cries a little before taking a nap or going to bed. And usually she entertains herself if I set her in her room to play with her toys. Best of luck! Hope this helps.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My 8 month old daughter like to be held a lot too. But i can but her in the floor on the palet with toys and will play for a little while. She also likes to sit in her bumbo chair. If he can't sit up yet, try one of those it helps them sit up and they feel big and will stay content for a while. At 8 months mine like to eat cheetos and that occupies her for a while. She also had a time last night with a chocolate marchmellow bunny.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 12:54 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• His parents need to reinforce independent play time at home. It needs to be a joint effort between all the caregivers
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• First of all you need to talk to his mom,, he should be able to sit up now,, do some research, and when she comes to pick him up say, I think we need to help your DS a bit,, I am going to put him in the playpen to play,,, and let him cry for a bit to see if he can become used to being on his own,, will you do the same thing at home? You can point out he needs to strengthen his muscles and the only way to do it is for him to start to try to do things on his own,, You have to get her on the same page, because she needs to do the same for him while she has him,, good luck, but hopefully this will be a smooth conversation, you are his god-mamma after all!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Wanting to be held all the time is not really a problem. That's how babies are programmed. Not being able to sit up IS a problem, which needs a pediatrician's attention. Unless this is a preemie whose age and developmental expectations need to be adjusted accordingly? If so, not sitting up might not be a problem at all and you may need to readjust your own expectations.

Before you even think about leaving this child to cry, though, you need to talk to mom about it. Do not do it till you've done so. If she isn't on the same page with you on this and not willing to change, then she needs to find a caregiver who WILL be on the same page with her.

I know that I would NOT be OK with you leaving baby to cry... but I also would have been up front about the situation in the first place.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I suggest you invest in a jumperoo, so you can put him down and do other things even just for 15 to 30 min. My son is 5 months and pretty heavy(18lbs), so grandmoms can't hold him all day so I bought the jumperoo for him to play and jump. It's also a good exercise.
    I do suggest you let him cry for a little bit before holding him, eventually he'll get tired and play with his fingers or go to sleep. Does he take pacifier? My son just sucks on his fingers to sooth himself.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• How old are your children, if you put them down together maybe he can learn from them to sit and play.
    momtaz122

Answer by momtaz122 at 3:54 PM on Apr. 29, 2011