Daycare?

Do you think that daycare is overly expensive and should have some sort of cut off on how much that they can make.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 7:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree - there are a lot of mom's being certified to run an inhome daycare and charging through the nose for it. Then, they get all these grants for food and formula - which I know 3 providers who used it for their own families!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• no I dont because its like getting a whopper or eating at a steak house you get what you pay for if you choose upscale than thats what you get and if you choose the old lady down the road with 20 other kids in her house than thats what you get

Anonymous

• i went to a state ran daycare which i will never ever do again, and it cost me 2000 a month and the care there was horrible and i had to supply all of the diapers and wipes and stuff. i had four kids in daycare that is why i was asking.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• They have to make a living too.
    Anonymous

• yes i do 1200 for 3 kids when you dont even need it for a hole week but you have to send them every day or at least pay for the hole week.
    Anonymous

• How can the care for your child be overly expensive? You get to choose which center you want, based on quality and/or price. If there would be cut off on how much they could make them there would be cut off on how much the employees could make. Which they already don't make nearly enough for the job that they do.
    Anonymous

• No one in the childcare industry is making any big money. They charge what they have to keep their businesses running. People who work in day care make next to nothing. How would they stay in business if they didn't charge what they do?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i went to a state one since i had a friend that worked there and said it was great, boy that was a bad idea. two of my children were outside and went into the street and no one knew that they were missing and then i would pay my child care on time and then i would get called 3 to 4 times a week because one of the kids was sick and come to find out when i would go to the doctors they weren't even sick. and then my oldest son who was three at the time was bit by a six year old who was mental handicapped and it took them 20 minutes to get him to unclench his jaw. they had to call his mom and she said to cover his nose that they he would unlatch so that he could breath and then no one told me about it and when i checked him over right before his bath there was this huge bandage on his back. he still has the scar.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I dont work because all the money I would make would be sucked up by daycare. I prefer anyway to be home with my children. I am lucky my husband has a job that allows me to do this. When my 3 older kids were young I did have to work but I worked opposite shift of my (now ex) husband. I hated leaving them. When things got to where my Ex was making more, I quit. After we broke up, I still didn't have to work because I had enough money saved to live off of (and had child support). I was lucky when I remarried that my new husband was supportive of me staying home. We have toddlers now & I wouldnt want to miss this time with them like I did with my older kids.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Also add here, I used to babysit my sister's kids while she worked. I didnt charge her anywhere near what a normal daycare does. I only charged her $100 a week and really that was way less then what she had been paying for 2 kids. I cant say I would do it again though. I really didnt feel I got paid enough to do as much as I did.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008