Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

If anyone has gone through this or know what I should do.... 4 yr olds bio-dad has been sent to prison for 12 years for murdering a minor...

I have heard through the grapevine that he wont be serving his full sentence and to tell you the truth, I'm afraid. When he gets out will he be able to find me and my daughter? Will someone let me know that he's been released? I'm now married but my husband hasnt legally adopted my daughter yet, does her bio-dad have any rights to her?

If anyone has gone through this and can share their experiences, or give me any advice it would be really appreciated


Asked by Lucky209 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Relationships

Level 28 (35,060 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • unless the state has terminated his right YES, he does have rights to her. seeing as how he is in jail I would start talking to a lawyer about how to remove his rights so you can take the next step and let your DH adopt her. after that you can have a restraining order put on him if you feel that you are in danger

    Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Easy enough to get his rights terminated.

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • You need to get bio-dad to terminate his rights, definitely. Good luck with the whole thing, keep the faith my friend!!!!

    Answer by Dahis at 12:50 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • You should consult an attorney to make sure you get the right information regarding this matter.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • call a lawyer asap!`

    Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 1:23 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • get a lawyer! That's a situation you don't want to get wrong.
    Seeing as his offense was against a minor, I could only imagine it would be fairly straight-forward process to get his rights removed. I'm not a laywer, so I couldn't say for sure, but it sure would make sense.
    I'm sorry you have to go through this. Stay strong! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your new family

    Answer by daylily888 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Get the ball an attorney. Go down to the court house or call and see what (if any) papers you need to file in order for that to happen. I have a friend who did all her own paperwork because of course having a lawyer do that costs $$$. Do your homework..that's a scary thing to have to worry about. Good luckwink mini


    Answer by 805doll at 1:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • Hire a family attorney and get their advice. If he has not visited or paid child support in a year (BEFORE his legal problems) then you have a case to terminate his rights. On top of that because he killed a minor a family law lawyer can probably get a good judge to sign off on an adoption since he will be in jail 12 yrs. It doesnt matter if he is out sooner, he was sentenced to 12 yrs and your child wont have a father. That could work in your favor.
    I would also ask in case an adoption doesnt work for some form of notification of his release.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • The lawyer would handle it for you. Just consult an attorney.

    Answer by SeasideNative at 1:40 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

  • I definitely think that you need to get a lawyer and do what you need to do to have his rights terminated so your son can be adopted BEFORE he gets out and can do something. PLUS, I would be looking into making sure the authorities notify you when he is released. If you have any reason to suspect that he would come after you (something he has said or done), I am sure that it would be quite easy to get a restraining order given his violent criminal history.

    Good luck mama.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011