A little unclear on plagiarism. Question needs answer asap please.

I am writing a large research paper. I am citing every source properly. What constitutes plagiarism though? What if I reword a few sentences and give proper credit to the source right after the sentences? Is that plagiarism because I used what they said but changed only a few words? I'm a bit confused. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in

• It needs to be in your own words unless you quote it. I always shut my source and tried to summarize it in my own words to make sure it was sufficiently my own and then still cite as their idea etc.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• No plagarism is right out copying and not giving credit,, for example you read The sky is blue, and reprint it , plagarism, it you say The sky was a pale shade of azure,, not plagarism,, good luck,, I don't miss the days of papers,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:53 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• "Plagiarism means using another's work without giving credit. You must put others' words in quotation marks and cite your source(s). Citation must also be given when using others' ideas, even when those ideas are paraphrased into your own words." (source).
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I rearranged thier wording, added to it in my own words, then cited them immediately after wards. This is suffcient?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It depends on what you mean by rearranged their wording. How many of the key words are still original to their's? I would replace any words you can with synonyms.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I see, thank you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• For art work it's 15%. you have to change the work that much for it to be considered original.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Good luck! I always was worried I over cited but was so worried as well about plagarism!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If you are rewording it to fit the flow of your paper, as long as you are giving credit after the idea, I would say you are fine. If you are too worried about it, you could include a "pre" cite...where you mention the source before the in-text citation so they know where his/her idea begins.

For example: Smith confirms this in his text, adding that children of.....and.... (Smith, 2011).
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:36 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It depends on which form of citation you are using. It varies between APA and MLA. Try this site for some amazing help www.purdue.edu (look for the office of writing lab.) I do know that if your rewording is to close to the original work, it is considered plagirism.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011