What exactly do you spank for?

Another question got me thinking about this. What reason do you have for spanking your child? What did they do to deserve it? IMHO, a swat on the butt because they HURT someone, I mean physically hurt, might be justified I suppose if they've been taught that is not appropriate behavior. A swat on the butt because they ran out into a busy parking lot, yeah that's justifiable.
Maybe I'm just extemely lucky, but I've never had to spank any of my kids. Not that I would, but they've never misbehaved to the point that I'd even consider it. They know right from wrong and that's that. When I read that someone actually spanks their kid a few times a WEEK, I wonder what the reason was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nothing, I don't inflict physical pain on them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:18 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• If they hurt someone, do something that can hurt someone. This question is VERY judgmental and I will not answer anything further/ I just want my kids safe and if a swat to the butt is the worst that happens to them so be it!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I spank after I've repeated myself several times and she still isn't listening, or for the reasons you listed too.

Everyone acts like spanking your kid is slapping them in the face and calling them a sh*t-head. If you know how to do it right, it doesn't hurt it just gets their attention and lets them know that you mean business and it should go no further than that. You try other ways first and if they still aren't listening then you spank, but it's not the end-all either. You don't just keep hitting harder until they listen, if spanking doesn't work you move on to something else just like with time-outs or any other punishment. Spankers aren't child abusers, we're (usually) caring parents just like you.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:04 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• For my 2 1/2 hitting or kicking after they have been warned not to, doing ANYTHING that I have just told them not to do (deliberately disobeying) you know sometimes he doesn't listen because he is excited and i give him several chances and a verbal warning first....but there are times you can tell when he gives me that look and does it anyway that he is just saying "watch me" lol and for my 8 year old when he is very disrespectful and continues to do so after he has been verbally reprimanded
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:00 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• considering I was the one you wrote the question about YES I answered. and now you know. should have just asked in my chatter!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:02 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It was not meant to be judgemental, VERY or not. If you took it that way, it's not what my intention was.
    I just asked a question, and compared to others on here, no it's not judgemental. You certainly didn't have to answer, did you?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It really depends on the situation. While I do spank, I try to be creative in my discipline so that I don't spank all that frequently. Bad attitudes, defiance, direct disobedience and deceitfulness all warrant a couple of swats, but I don't beat my children into obedience.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 1:06 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• My son got spanked yesterday, twice.... He spent the day with the principal after talking back to his teacher, not doing his work and telling her he didn't care and didn't have to do anything she said... that was for the first one. Second, he talked back to me, even after a long conversation about it, and then he proceeded to crawl around on the floor playing with toys when he should have been doing something else. He didn't listen to anything that was said and his behavior has gotten worse, nothing else was working. From now on if he defies my authority or any other adult, he will be spanked.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Anything they have been warned about or scolded for repeatedly but continue to do. Sometimes it is the "first step" instead of the "last step" when they are doing something very dangerous or particularly terrible.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:19 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Back in the day...parents spanked and also gave permission to the neighbors or family friends that if you saw a child doing wrong then the could take matters into there hands. With that being said some parents took it to far I agree but the time out was introduced and then oh no its not right to put your hands on a child that's when kids and adults started calling accusing for abuse. I guess the point is kids don't fear a consequences nemore and growing up I don't remember hearing newhere kids were killing there parents now with the change in the discipline guidelines I watch the news and what do u know a kid gets his game taken away and killed both parents I discipline according to the situation and if it requires a spanking then so be it
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 1:43 PM on Apr. 28, 2011