Any moms out there with kids who are anemic?

I know it can be tested for with blood work but what symptoms did your child experience before their diagnosis? I'm heading back to the doc shortly and requesting testing because what they've offered so far as an explanation of her symptoms is crap. My mommy instincts KNOW they are wrong in their assessment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• my dd is slightly anemic, when her iron starts getting low she'll be whiney and sleepy and dark circles will start to show up under her eyes....what kind of symptoms does your child have?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Very sleepy/tired and often weak for no apparent reason and not in any kind of pattern (happens at various times of the day), and she does have dark circles but those are almost always present in varying degrees. For as quickly as the lethargy comes on, it seems to disappear almost as quickly at times. She dealt with a bout of pneumonia about 2 months ago (though she exhibited no symptoms of that-it was a total fluke as to how we caught it), did a round of antibiotics and got the all clear a few weeks later. When these latest symptoms presented themselves, I thought it was more of the same but this is different and doc visits confirmed no pneumonia. She was tested for mono (negative) since it's going around the school. My thoughts are anemia or low blood sugar. Hopefully, her upcoming blood test will shed some light on the issue.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Apr. 29, 2011

• My son has recently been in the E.R. and the blood test showed he was anemic. E.R doc said it's pretty common for someone who has fever to have this condition, but at the follow up checkup with another doctor, she said my son should be taking his multivitamins everyday. Son does not eat a lot of meat because he's constantly constipated, and doctor said that could be the reason why he lacks iron in his diet. He gets tired pretty easily too.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 3:27 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Iron-decency anemia isn't something that comes and goes, unless their diet is unstable. My dd was 9 months and her body just would absorb the iron so they prescribed her liquid iron supplement. She was always sleepy, she always had dark circles and she was having problems gaining weight. Sounds more like low blood sugar to me. Is she taking multi-vitamin daily? When she gets lethargic, does a snack help? Was she on NSAID s when she was sick? That can cause anemia.

This might help
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/understanding-anemia-basics
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:29 PM on May. 1, 2011