Silly kids...perplexed by bread and butter.

So today I was going to try to make a quick lunch out of leftover beef stew. I didn't really have anything to go with it already made and didn't want to make a bunch of dishes since the beef stew would fill them up anyway, so I decided to just make some bread and butter.

I guess my oldest (5) has never had it before, and she was watching me asking all sorts of questions "Are you making grilled cheese"..."no, just bread and butter"..."Is it toast?"..."not really."...."what is it supposed to be? Like rolls?"..."I guess"..."do I dip it in my food?"..."you can".

It was 20 questions over something so simple. I laughed so hard I about cried. She was really thrown off by it!

Have your kids ever been really confused by something simple? Are they good about trying new things when it comes to food?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I cook new stuff all the time, so they're used to it.

I normally serve bread and butter with things like stroganoff and certain dishes.

The one thing that seemed to confuse them the most was my mom buttering saltine crackers to serve with soup, and putting mayo on her green beans. But because it was Grandma, they were both fine with trying it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Most of the time they've been pretty good about it. Once when my (now 14 yr old) was little..she was probably 4...I served shrimp. I guess up till then I hadn't given her any. She sat there & looked at the bowl of them on the table & looked at me & said "Mommy, are we really going to have caterpillars for dinner?"
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• We occasionally have nachos for dinner. But when I make it it's got ground beef, beans, a ton of veggies and of course cheese. When my kids see what we're having their reaction is always a bewildered "we're having chips for dinner?!"
    My youngest dd (3) was at first really concerned and scared of me breastfeeding her baby brother. She would get really upset and say no mommy! don't let him eat you! I would explaine to her that he is drinking milk from mommy's boobie. WHAT!!!??? It took quite a while for her to figure this one out and even after a month now she will still ask if he's biting me. lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Amanda, have you tried expressing in front of her so she actually sees the milk come out, I did that to help my friends DD understand when I was nursing my DD.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:17 PM on Apr. 28, 2011