How would you handle this?

My husband bought one of our sons an airsoft pellet gun. Last night my husband smiled and pointed it at my oldest son (14). He was joking around but it severely bothered me. Why would a father do that? His reply was that it wasn't loaded but that is SO not the point.

I mentioned it this morning and my husband acted like nothing even happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Apr. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just tell him you dont want the kids pointing guns at each other and hes setting a bad example.

Answer by gemgem at 1:26 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• clearly not a responsible gun owner. he needs to take some classes by your local government agency/park ranger's office.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:30 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I would just tell, I don't let the boys point guns at people. That includes you.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Oh, I have heard this so many times from moms. They refuse to let their kids have water pistols, toy guns, and stuff like that. However, I've also seen how, when these things are now allowed, the kids use their forefinger and thumb to simulate a gun. It's something about boys. We played with pretend guns growing up and we all turned out fine. I honestly think it's better to teach about gun safety than to simply not allow toy ones at all. Of course, my husband is a police officer and my kids have grown up with a gun in the house.

Anonymous

• I think that was really irresponsible of him. We own guns and I was raised with guns and always taught that you never under any circumstances point a gun at someone else, it does not matter if it is a toy gun or an unloaded actual gun, you just don't do that. He is being a very bad example to his kids by doing that.
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• You ask him how he'll feel the first time he hears about his son shooting someone. Guns are NOT pointed at people.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:37 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I agree not a good way to teach your children. My kids have bb guns and that is the #1 rule
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• wouldnt bother me, we are a military family, we watch gun training and drills all the time, and as long as it is i good fun, wh is it a big deal? My kids know hat when they play with toy guns they are the soldiers protecting our country and freedom, and families like yours! We teach our kids about the good things weapons are used for and they will all hae gun safety and target practice starting at 11. ( For their safety and others) It is a good lesson to teach. Le them play the good guy/ bad guy as long as they are always playing for good!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• Pointing guns at your kids is "all in good fun"? lol Remind me not to party with you people/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Apr. 28, 2011